VW MKV GTI

You're getting some great mileage out of that rig. Well done.

Out of curiousity, what was the vehicles speed?

You're getting some great mileage out of that rig. Well done.

Out of curiousity, what was the vehicles speed?

<5mph.

We pushed most of them, but this one was under power. Stiff suspensions and sudden start/stops make for very unsteady rig.

The magic arm I bought is crap. I thought it was the right one, but it's thin and not very steady. I also need a wider pole so I can get some more length on it.

Really good picture! Love how sharp it is.

I have a question about the hardware (magic arm). Is it photoshopped out of the final image? I assume it has to attach to the car so that as the car is pushed along the motion is there but car is in focus. But where does the arm attach or show? Or does it not?

A friends of mine want's these kinds of pictures for a car he's been fixing up; I said I'd help him but just wondered if there's something I'm missing in regards to the arm not showing in the final picture.

Dude that is way cool, were you just standing in the street next to the car or how was this done cuz that looks about as good as u can get on this. Im impressed.

This is the original unedited photo:

I took the magic arm off after the first run with the first car because it was so unsteady. I was just using a giotto ball head, that's why it's upside down. Two avenger suction cups with super clamps holding on to a bar with a third super clamp at the end with the ball head on it to attach to the camera.

Just edit it out afterwards.

I really just started on Monday with the editing and I've learned so much since then. Previously, most of my PhotoShop experience was photo retouching without a ton of heavy editing. It's definitely given me more tools to really help with editing everything else.

Wow! :meh:

Thanks for posting the original haha I can just envision what you did to get the end product. I've always wondered how these shots were done it's like a revelation! :lol: Does the arm and all come in a kit or is this more of a DIY done really well?

Wow! :meh:

Thanks for posting the original haha I can just envision what you did to get the end product. I've always wondered how these shots were done it's like a revelation! :lol: Does the arm and all come in a kit or is this more of a DIY done really well?

I bought the suction cups and clamps and everything except the poles from B&H. The poles are 48" sections from Home Depot. There are places that make kits, but they're expensive. There's also under car mounts that are magnetic or use pinch clamps on the frame. I ended up spending about $300 on everything.

PS work was basically rotating the image, the using the pen tool for selections. Started at the top and worked my way down. used gradients on the sky and used burning and dodging to even it out then added noise to fix it.

From there it was the building. Up until the sign I would use the pen tool and make a selection from a part of the building not under the rig, make a new layer with the selection, then warp it to have the lines match the rest of the building. From there I used a very low percentage flow & opacity with cloning and burning and dodging to even it out.

Then the was cloning out the rig over the neon sign and right above the car.

The final portion was removing the rig's reflection from the car.

It took maybe a little more than an hour and a glass of 50/50 cheap vodka and diet coke.

nicely done dude.
pretty ****in cool.

nicely done dude.
pretty ****in cool.

Thanks. Here's my first real attempt. I need to go back and fix the hood and the line between the car and the sky is a bit sharp for my taste, but this one took 10-15 minutes.

The pen tool is honestly the coolest **** I've ever learned how to use. I'm dumbfounded as to why it's taken this long. It's soooooo superior to using any of the other selection tools....well, unless you're editing in something in a simple or you're in a hurry.

I started editing the rig out on this. The amazing people at POTN really helped me out a ton.

I sooo want to build a rig, but I think my wife would **** if she saw the camera hanging off of the car like that. :grumpy:

The pen tool is honestly the coolest **** I've ever learned how to use. I'm dumbfounded as to why it's taken this long. It's soooooo superior to using any of the other selection tools...

Everyone keeps saying that. I really need to learn how to use that thing well...

Cool shot in an abstract sort of way. The distortion from the wide angle lens adds to the surreal effect.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back