wait

I've written some books on photographic composition and design and I have some input on this photograph. I know I'm new here but not at all to the world of image-building. I have about 40 years under my belt.

Yes this composition misses, IMHO. I completely get what the artist was trying to do with this unusual, tight (and striking) composition, and it was a beautiful attempt, but it misses, regardless of the beauty or lack of beauty in the model. The eye is way too close to the top edge and she looks stuffed in the frame. This is a little unsettling and in direct opposition to the peaceful, at-ease expression on her face. She looks very serene, but she's all cramped in there. Awkward, IMO.

Color may have improved this somewhat. The value range is narrow ... why b/w? You would usually choose b/w if you want low-key, or if you have a lot of values (lights/darks) or textures to show off. The only textures in this image are the wrinkles in her shirt and her hair, and the lack of color does nothing for either. Her skin looks beautiful, and with that cleavage 'a little sexy' was clearly the intent. So why grey skin? Again, I see no reason for b/w because of the lack of value range and lack of textures. It almost looks a low-key effort -- but then her face is really light so it's not *really* a low-key image. I just don't get the b/w choice is all.

As a painter I like the title of this. It's perfect. I'm sorry if this isn't the feedback you were looking for. Try it again in color with a better blouse and a little bit lower in the frame and you have a gorgeous shot. Photography is about the journey .....

No matter how you explain it, I have a bad opinion of you.
You're giving yourself cover by criticizing so much.
A man who is afraid to admit his mistake and can't apologize is not responsible.
There is a good irony: the body of a man, the heart of a woman.
I despise hypocrites.
Thank you for your message.
I am no longer interested in you, please do not reply, thank you!
First and foremost: All threads are open for anyone to post in. If you don't like or agree with a particular member, please make use of the 'Ignore' feature, but irrespective of your wishes, anyone is free to post in this thread if they desire.

You may also want to look at your own responses. @Derrel has made a number of posts regarding your WORK; he has made these from the position of someone with a great deal of experience in the craft. You don't have to like or agree with them, but he has knowledge and experience behind him. Many of your replies however have been directed at him personally. I would suggest that rather nicely fits the definition of 'hypocrite' that you have made liberal use of. Please bear in mind that respectful critique and discussion is encouraged, even if it gets passionate. Attacks on individuals ARE NOT!

As a personal (as opposed to moderator) response, my feeling is that you need to relax a little and learn how to accept critique. You may not like what someone has to say about your work, but if you put the effort in, you can almost always gain something useful from every comment, especially comments from someone with so much experience.

I've written some books on photographic composition and design and I have some input on this photograph. I know I'm new here but not at all to the world of image-building. I have about 40 years under my belt.

Yes this composition misses, IMHO. I completely get what the artist was trying to do with this unusual, tight (and striking) composition, and it was a beautiful attempt, but it misses, regardless of the beauty or lack of beauty in the model. The eye is way too close to the top edge and she looks stuffed in the frame. This is a little unsettling and in direct opposition to the peaceful, at-ease expression on her face. She looks very serene, but she's all cramped in there. Awkward, IMO.

Color may have improved this somewhat. The value range is narrow ... why b/w? You would usually choose b/w if you want low-key, or if you have a lot of values (lights/darks) or textures to show off. The only textures in this image are the wrinkles in her shirt and her hair, and the lack of color does nothing for either. Her skin looks beautiful, and with that cleavage 'a little sexy' was clearly the intent. So why grey skin? Again, I see no reason for b/w because of the lack of value range and lack of textures. It almost looks a low-key effort -- but then her face is really light so it's not *really* a low-key image. I just don't get the b/w choice is all.

As a painter I like the title of this. It's perfect. I'm sorry if this isn't the feedback you were looking for. Try it again in color with a better blouse and a little bit lower in the frame and you have a gorgeous shot. Photography is about the journey .....
A man who is afraid to admit his mistake and can't apologize is not responsible.
I despise hypocrites.
First and foremost: All threads are open for anyone to post in. If you don't like or agree with a particular member, please make use of the 'Ignore' feature, but irrespective of your wishes, anyone is free to post in this thread if they desire.

You may also want to look at your own responses. @Derrel has made a number of posts regarding your WORK; he has made these from the position of someone with a great deal of experience in the craft. You don't have to like or agree with them, but he has knowledge and experience behind him. Many of your replies however have been directed at him personally. I would suggest that rather nicely fits the definition of 'hypocrite' that you have made liberal use of. Please bear in mind that respectful critique and discussion is encouraged, even if it gets passionate. Attacks on individuals ARE NOT!

As a personal (as opposed to moderator) response, my feeling is that you need to relax a little and learn how to accept critique. You may not like what someone has to say about your work, but if you put the effort in, you can almost always gain something useful from every comment, especially comments from someone with so much experience.
First of all, I think the focus of this debate is wrong.

Because I'm a photographer who can take criticism.

No one can casually succeed, accept criticism is the road to success!

I've been a photographer for 21 years.

If someone doesn't appreciate this picture, I'm perfectly fine with it. This is not difficult, even very happy to accept!

Because no one can make every picture perfect.

It escalates into an argument because there are different points of view, even moral ones, involved.

As I said before about photographic criticism, it can be expressed in 10,000 different ways!

At that time, I thought Derrel's comment was too indirect and not direct, which led to a lot of misunderstanding!

I believe that there are some problems caused by the differences in understanding between eastern and western cultures.

My understanding and explanation are also biased, which is the reason why things are bad

In fact, we are only talking about this picture.

But after leaving this picture, we can still have a new discussion about the new works. (praise or criticism)

I think it's good to have a discussion.

There is a famous Chinese saying: when something is over, don't hold grudges.

So I'm very happy to see your comments on my new work.

Thanks for your participation in the discussion. It's the best friendship for Derrel and me.

Thank you!

xc222 said:
I despise hypocrites.

xc222 said:
I despise hypocrites.
I'm just stating the facts, but I'm not going to explain them or apologize to you.
I hope you won't reply in the future, because it is so boring.

I don't want to waste any more time on you!
Thank you very much!

Dear friends,

There is no need to discuss the matter any further.

What a waste of time!Now let's get started and stop talking.

Fabulous and gorgeous & great shot.

Thanks a lot.

Photography is visual communication art, not mathematical formulas, not rigid dogmatism.

Photography needs inspiration, relaxation, improvisation and feeling.

Breaking the rules is the best rule!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back