wakeskating

jcoffey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just recently started getting into photography and have been enjoying it. alot. I took these of my friend Collin Gee wakeskating near the end of the (warm) wakeskate season this year. I used a Nikon D90 (which I am proud to say was paid for by cashing in my change jar). These were taken about a week and a half after getting the camera, which is my first dSLR.

The only stuff I did in post was bring out specific colors in the shots, and added vignettes....because i have an addiction to vignettes.

critique away:

dsc0093p.jpg

(it is a shoelace used as a belt...not a man thong :) )

dsc0122g.jpg

dsc0086e.jpg

dsc0126o.jpg

dsc0137e.jpg

Rider - Aaron Reed on the Trinity River in Ft. Worth Tx

dsc0035smallt.jpg

Last edited:
you've got the peak of action just about right.But there's no face!In sports,one very important thing is face,it gives you the expression of the sportsman.If you do not want to include the face,make sure the rest of the body is strong enough to tell the viewer the feeling of the sportsman/lady.
One thing worth noting is that the post-process is very interesting

about 5 years

dsc0006tz.jpg

IMO #s 5 & 4 are the best of the group over all, #5 is very good, but those two do need a little straightening. And maybe some cropping so rider is not nearly in the dead center of the frame.

Also did you try #1 as a B&W, IMO with some cropping and grain it would make a nice one.

We are two strong now! haha i was so relieved when i saw this title

some things to remember when shooting chase

the rule of thirds, you framed Collin Well on his i.o 180. try to not center the focus of your shot too much

level horizons, this is a BIG one to remember. keep your horizons level. even if you don't you can crop and rotate the picture and no one will ever know!

you are doing such a good job focusing. It seems like you have that figured out perfectly already.

sometimes a looser composition is better. It gives the photo a certain vibe to it, depending on the scenery.

Just make sure you have fun with it, Try some fresh new angles and such. And don't be afraid to submit photos to alliance, You have talented riders around you. use them to your advantage, And don't think your photos aren't good enough for a Monday cover. They are! do work!

ej, how do I go about submitting them on alliance? i found the spot that tells you to where to e-mail them, but it says no photos or video. should i upload the photo somewhere else and link it?

love the fifth one with his tongue sticking out

I really like #3. It's cool. I also like #1 a lot. Really captures the feel of poking a nice ollie right at the apex. BAM! :thumbup:

Oh yeah, shoelaces are quite handy. Used a pair once to tie a bunk back onto a buddies trailer. Plus homeboy is tying up his jeans. Wakeskating in wet jeans held up with a shoelace? That's tough. Cool session.

Most reactions

Back