Wal-Mart and other Big Brother Businesses

Pgeobc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My local Wal-mart no longer carries lithium batteries. They state that this is because the lithium component can be extracted and used as a catalyst to synthesize Methamphetamine. Well, I went to the national site and guess what? Lithium batteries were listed as not being available in stores, although one could presumably order them on-line.

Fat chance I'm going to order from them on-line and pay shipping. Some on-line sales will even now require sales tax in some states, too.

Don't businesses take into account the legitimate needs and costs of honest users? I'm really tired of businesses costing me extra money just because they want to look politically correct. Maybe Wal-Mart should pick up the cost of the shipping and give an extra discount for having to wait for delivery.

Maybe I should simply order somewhere else; it might be cheaper, too.

There's always Radio Shack.

The sales tax thing - if they have a physical presence in the state you live in, they're supposed to collect sales tax. Pretty sure there's a Wal-mart in every state...
(Though, maybe only distribution centers count for that ... still, chances are, your state has one.)

I dont deal with any big box store. Best Buy and all that crap can go to hell. In Canada, we have a place called Futureshop. They price match 5% lower on pretty much anything you can prove to them exists. So many people I know go there to get 5% off.

I dunno, I much prefer to support my local camera shop who gives me straight up advice and takes their time with me.... I know, we all have to worry about our pocket books, but when these small stores close down because everyone takes their good prices and price matches, we'll be fraked.

>I much prefer to support my local camera shop who gives me straight up advice and takes their time <

That would be the thing to do, but living in a rural area, I have no camera shop.

Don't blame the store for this one, blame your neighbors. I know that sounds dumb, but keep in mind Wal-Mart is only doing things like that in response to people's demands. Even though it may not be the majority, there are still people making that demand. A law was passed in Wisconsin, making all stores put any item containing psuedoephedrine behind the counter and requiring ID to purchase it in an attempt to stop meth producers from making meth. Funny thing, it didn't work. Didn't even dent the meth production. It was a typical knee jerk reaction to a perceived problem. But it was a lawmaker, somewhere, who proposed the law at the request of his/her constituents, my neighbors, figuratively speaking. Same reason some Wal-Mart's don't sell guns and others do. Depends on their demographic and target customer. I'm sure it's also cheaper for a corporation like that to say "we stopped carrying it to help the meth problem" than it is to fight some frivolous law suit from some extremest who wants to blame them for some kid who bought some battery and made meth and died from it. Unfortunate reality of todays volatile society.

My policy, if I don't agree with a stores policies or practices, I simply don't buy from them.

When I order online from Wal-Mart and have it delivered to the local store for me to pickup, they don't charge shipping.

I dont deal with any big box store. Best Buy and all that crap can go to hell. In Canada, we have a place called Futureshop. They price match 5% lower on pretty much anything you can prove to them exists. So many people I know go there to get 5% off.

I dunno, I much prefer to support my local camera shop who gives me straight up advice and takes their time with me.... I know, we all have to worry about our pocket books, but when these small stores close down because everyone takes their good prices and price matches, we'll be fraked.

I don't know where you buy your stuff in Montreal but the local store's (Lozeau, Photoservice, Camtec) prices are ridiculous. I'm in the market for a Tokina 11-16mm...they generally have them listed at $749-779....B&H has them listed at $599 with stock, shipping $10, Taxes and Duty $30 = $639...in Montreal i'd be paying $850 with taxes.

I might not shop at the big chains but I no longer feel like shopping at the local mom and pop stores either. Our dollar is worth more than the US Dollar now yet our prices are still considerably higher. The excuse was always the exchange...what's the excuse now?

I don't know where you buy your stuff in Montreal but the local store's (Lozeau, Photoservice, Camtec) prices are ridiculous. I'm in the market for a Tokina 11-16mm...they generally have them listed at $749-779....B&H has them listed at $599 with stock, shipping $10, Taxes and Duty $30 = $639...in Montreal i'd be paying $850 with taxes.

I might not shop at the big chains but I no longer feel like shopping at the local mom and pop stores either. Our dollar is worth more than the US Dollar now yet our prices are still considerably higher. The excuse was always the exchange...what's the excuse now?

+

I live in ottawa and rarelly buy from vistek and henrys, galaxie and all the other ones i didnt bother to check out because price are ridiculous.

Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG Macro HSM II Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLR Lenses Full Frame APO702MIIN - Vistek Canada Product Detail

1252 with taxes.

at bh
Order Total: $832.82

why the heck i would give 420 $ out of my pocket because they give me straight advice? i dont think so. i could buy the 85mm 1.8 with the extra monnneyzzzz

>I much prefer to support my local camera shop who gives me straight up advice and takes their time <

That would be the thing to do, but living in a rural area, I have no camera shop.

Or when they charge msrp for everything. I priced a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L Is mk I last year and they wanted the $2199 or whatever Canon had listed for the msrp when I could go to b&h and get it for about $1600 at the time. B&H got my business.

The only time I purchase local is if it's an absolute necessity, and even the. It's rarely items over $200.

Futureshop is owned by Best Buy, and I'd consider it a "big box" store... I find the people at Henry's are quite nice, so I buy things from them, but always price matched to else where :p

In the end, I don't trust the opinions and advice of the camera store employees for that to be a deal breaker. I'd much prefer doing research (reading reviews) online. From the camera store, I just want some courteous, nice employees with basic knowledge of their products.

What's sad for me is my local camera store is not worth paying the extra.
1. They don't know what they're selling (Wife wanted a hand grip for a Nikon D300. They sold her a Canon grip that was unuseable on the Nikon and even other Canon bodies!).
2. Prices are at or near full MSRP.
3. They don't have much in stock.
4. Things like filters are a "cheap" brand and nothing other than UV, clear, or c/pol.
5. Selection is very minimal when it comes to accessories.

Basically if you want to buy through them. They have to order it, have it shipped to them. And then call you when its in. Why use them??

As for Walmart and the batteries, it may be that in one state, a law was passed to track the lithium sales like they had too with Sudafed (again because of Meth). So instead of dealing with the hassle. They chose to no sell them, anywhere. I would suspect the markup on Sudafed is a bit more than on something like batteries where there is a lot of competiton. So they still sell Sudafed (you have to give ID for it now). But for the batteries, it may not be worth a couple nickels, or dimes a package to deal with a regulatory issue! Even if the issue is just from one area.

This is ridiculously off-topic, but I live in Japan and REALLY wish there was a Walmart here. :) lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back