Walk

timethief

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.x5.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
would appreciate some feedback on this. thanks for looking.

walk_walls_2.jpg

I like: the narrow crop. It emphasizes the feeling of depth from the perspective. I also like the use of the lines on the left and right, and the texture of the floor, to bring you into the photo.

I dislike: the lack (that I can see) of a real subject. What is the photo about? Is there a real focal point? My eyes go into it (which is cool), but they don't really stop anywhere.

I very much like the wide format of this image, but I'm left feeling "incomplete" because I can't see more of the the upper part. The lines, textures and shadows are indeed appealing.

I guess my brain needs to see more in order to have some context. It's not that it's bad, I just feel short changed. Is there another 10-15% of image available?

Marc

Edit to add: I'm new here, but it seems like there is really limited interaction here. Is it just me?

Last edited:
i saw this and i instinctively crouched low in my chair. i feel both like im going to hit my head on a ceiling and that i want to look under and around the top edge to see more. it makes me feel physically uncomfortabe looking at it. that's the most reaction i've had in a long time to a picture. thank you, this one wins on that alone. spectacular.

Yup. I must agree that the vanishing point of the composition is set way too high for comfortable viewing.

Re-shoot if you can [1/500th at f3.5], but put the camera closer to the ground. I assume the crop was to eliminate objectionable material above the frame top.

I like: the narrow crop. It emphasizes the feeling of depth from the perspective. I also like the use of the lines on the left and right, and the texture of the floor, to bring you into the photo.

I dislike: the lack (that I can see) of a real subject. What is the photo about? Is there a real focal point? My eyes go into it (which is cool), but they don't really stop anywhere.

thanks for the comments dcclark.
the things you said you like are actually what i was trying to emphasize in general.

On the matter of the subject, this is a really nice park, and it is empty most of the time. The fact that this picture is taken in Dubai might add a bit of meaning to it perhaps.
the benches behind walls seemed very very odd to me. Where i come from we would have the benches right next to the water where you would stretch your feet and enjoy the sunlight.

Yup. I must agree that the vanishing point of the composition is set way too high for comfortable viewing.

Re-shoot if you can [1/500th at f3.5], but put the camera closer to the ground. I assume the crop was to eliminate objectionable material above the frame top.

You are spot on crop was to eliminate objectionable material to the right and top of the frame.
I just wanted to give it that narrow feeling leading up to the bridge. I actually shot it 1/500th at f3.5. Placing the camera dcloser to the ground doesnt achieve what i like. I tried it. There are some bushes above the walls which i dont want in the picture.and i wanted the bridge to be visible as it is.

Thanks so much for your comments.

i saw this and i instinctively crouched low in my chair. i feel both like im going to hit my head on a ceiling and that i want to look under and around the top edge to see more. it makes me feel physically uncomfortabe looking at it. that's the most reaction i've had in a long time to a picture. thank you, this one wins on that alone. spectacular.

Im glad you liked it wyjid. When i was cropping the picture thats what i exactly had in mind. I also had to add a little bit of wall towards the end of the picture to give the feeling that walls actually went higher and higher.
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

I very much like the wide format of this image, but I'm left feeling "incomplete" because I can't see more of the the upper part. The lines, textures and shadows are indeed appealing.

I guess my brain needs to see more in order to have some context. It's not that it's bad, I just feel short changed. Is there another 10-15% of image available?

Marc

Edit to add: I'm new here, but it seems like there is really limited interaction here. Is it just me?

There is much more than 10 15% available Marc. It just doesnt look interesting with the top part of the image. There are some bushes and some trees, but i wanted the walls to have most of the attention actually so i cropped them out.

I am also relatively new here Marc. But it seems that people like to view more than they like to comment. I am trying to give feedback as much as i can. But the problem might be that people are not getting any replies to their feedback. I find it the case with me. I post some feedback or comment on a picture which goes unnoticed (seems to me). But i dont mind. Probably a busy month for everyone. I am trying to keep track of your posts though. Really enjoy your work.

Thanks for looking reading and writing.

Most reactions

Back