Want a DSLR with video? (D90 preview)

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
original souce:
http://www.bythom.com/
my source:
http://www.juzaforum.com/forum-en/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2241&p=15097#p15097

Nikon is making me very jealous!
Only a short time after their latest release and now something new on the horizon - a DSLR (D90) which supports video capture -

12 megapixels (with APS-C sensor, maybe the same of D300)
4.5 FPS
Live View with 3" screen
Video mode (it has a small microphone! and video is 1080!)
kit lens 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G DX VR

This is a big step (and something most of us thought would only exist for the point and shoot market).
As a wildlife amature this greatly interests me - sometimes a video captures more than a single photo can of an event and the option of playing around with good quality video without having to shell our for a full video camera system is very tempting.
I only hope Canon follow suit with nikon in this area

I keep a small video cam in my camera bag...... I might be inclined to use the recording feature on the D90 in a snapshoty type atmosphere... The D90 is not(will not) be a pro tool so I would think people interested in this level camera would most likely make some use of this feature.

Anyone got a scoop or prediction on how many focus points the D90 will have??

I'm guessing it'll have 11 AF-points. I can't see it having the 50+ of the D300/D700/D3. But, hey, maybe it will.

And about the video feature; I'm not sure about it, haha. I mean, I'd never, ever use it. Then again, I think of myself as taking this photography bit rather seriously. But, I can see its applications for people (casual shooting areas, and whatnot). So, I mean, if it helps Nikon sell more cameras, then awesome!

I don't. Video = More money for a feature I'll never use.

well.... considering it is rumored the pricing platform of the D90 will be the same as the D80 was when it rolled I suppose your statement should read:

Video = Same money for a feature I'll never use

but really.... you (being a pro) should have no interest in the D90 or any of it's features... it's a midlevel consumer camera....

well.... considering it is rumored the pricing platform of the D90 will be the same as the D80 was when it rolled I suppose your statement should read:

Video = Same money for a feature I'll never use

but really.... you (being a pro) should have no interest in the D90 or any of it's features... it's a midlevel consumer camera....

Look at Live View. It's on pretty much all DSLR's now. Think the Nikon D4 will end up with a video feature?

I think it depends - myself if I have just trekked miles or have just found a fox hole - I would be very tempted to walk away with not only photos, but also some video - sometimes a photo just can't capture the whole event.
Though saying that I don't want to see the quality of the photographic side to slip - my guess is nikon know this too and will make certain that the D90 ships with a high quality result photographically speaking

I don't think I'd use it often, but I can see salesman already upgrading people from looking at a D60 to looking at a D90 based on this feature alone. Nikon will probably sell a bunch of them if they do include it.

Look at Live View. It's on pretty much all DSLR's now. Think the Nikon D4 will end up with a video feature?

Not sure about a video feature in a D4...... but it could be argued there are times (albeit not that many) where using live view could be advantageous due to camera positioning etc... so in this respect I see why it exists..... it just another tool for the user....

but video recording is pretty gimmicky.... i dunno if it would show up in the pro series... maybe put in up to the D700 so the pro's can play with it on their back up bodies....

Another advantage is for students or other video hobbiests who don't have the money to buy a several thousand dslr setup and several more thousand to buy a prosumer video setup. Assuming that you will be able to use the various lenses and adjust the same image settings that you can in still mode, you would create a nice all around setup. Just to get those feature in a video camera would run you a few thousand plus the expensive video lenses. Obviously it wont be the same quality, but for those who otherwise would have to use a consumer camcorder, it may be a good improvement. However, the clip size will likely be more limited, but often for those people who cannot afford the expensive video setup, this will not matter.

Someone just posted that the Nikon D90 will have video.

I'm off looking for it now. (I wonder if it's 1080p? Mmmm yummmm!)

If I could take a picture WHILE shooting video, without any lag, that might actually be useful. But I somehow doubt it...

The Casio can do that now. Did you check out the specs?

Also remember, Video is just an image sequence! ;) So in that sense it would be impossible not to take a picture WHILE shooting video. :D

Most reactions

Back