Want camera with D90 quality, but no movie option

chyidean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to kick off my DSLR endeavors with the D90. The image quality is comparable to the D300, which I was originally considering, except for low light performance which I shouldn't be doing too much of. However, I keep thinking to myself that I am paying for more than what I need - I don't plan on using the movie function. Since I haven't settled on Nikon or Canon, as I have lens for neither, I am open to all cameras that have comparable image quality with the D90/D300 but no superfluous functions like 720p movie capture.

Thanks,
Dean

Well, you already answered your own question in terms of Nikon: the D300 is the nearest thing to the D90 without the gratuitous features like video capture (it does have live view, though).

I'm not too experienced with Canon, but I think you might look at the 40D, 50D or maybe even XS/XSi.

You're not "paying extra" for having HD video on the camera in the same way you buy upgrades for your car or something. The newest dSLRs will all have some kind of movie function, so it's not really a great way to shop.

I can t say I have ever used auto white balance but that doesn t mean I go out of my way to find a camera without one.

One day you may even kick yourself for ignoring the movie option. It may not be a desired option but damn I am sure you will find use for it after 5 or 6 beers with your mates.

... One day you may even kick yourself for ignoring the movie option. It may not be a desired option but damn I am sure you will find use for it after 5 or 6 beers with your mates.
Exactly. I've got quite a few short videos of "precious" moments that otherwise would not have been captured. True, no really movie camera quality but it is sure a heck of a lot better than nothing!!

Simple, buy the D90, just don't use the movie feature.

The D300 is going for about $900 on the used market these days... that would be a good option. Because of the improved build quality, I'd trust a used d300 more then a new d90.

Out of curiosity, why Nikon over Canon? Recent Marketing?

...As for the "paying for what you don't need" - I'm not sure - the "movie" functions are only firmware and marketing related. No extra technology there that I know of. I'd consider a little extra and go Canon 50D, or save a little and go 40D - or even save a LOT($679 w/decent lens) if you shoot in auto and get the Rebel Xsi - it's nearly as good and shares a sensor w/ the 40D. I'm impartial to the Nikon Vs. Canon debate, but it seems Canon IS lenses are more available than similar Nikon VR and they offer optics that are just as good. In the long-run, you'll save a ton going Canon I'd think. The up-side to the Nikon is that every 12 year old will recognize it as the "cool camera on MTV".

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why Nikon over Canon? Recent Marketing?

...As for the "paying for what you don't need" - I'm not sure - the "movie" functions are only firmware and marketing related. No extra technology there that I know of. I'd consider a little extra and go Canon 50D, or save a little and go 40D - or even save a LOT($679 w/decent lens) if you shoot in auto and get the Rebel Xsi - it's nearly as good and shares a sensor w/ the 40D. I'm impartial to the Nikon Vs. Canon debate, but it seems Canon IS lenses are more available than similar Nikon VR and they offer optics that are just as good. In the long-run, you'll save a ton going Canon I'd think. The up-side to the Nikon is that every 12 year old will recognize it as the "cool camera on MTV".

I doubt that the movie option is just firmware... but I who knows.

As for saving a "ton" using canon, not really... if you want to save $$ go with sony/minolta.

Actually it is. All cameras read out sensor information in lines. Providing the image processor is fast enough it's just a matter of reading the lines continuously and quickly. If you rotate really quickly while taking a movie with a DSLR you can see this line by line readout do nasty things to the image.

Why pay more for the D300 just to not have the movie mode. Might as well save money, get the D90 and not use the movie mode and just use the money you saved to buy some sweet lenses :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back