wanted canon SLR EOS camera

totiegirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm bodly asking for help...i'm a missionary girl who regularly ministers to orphan children in Russia and will be going to Papua for the first time this november to a new orphanage. I really want to have a canon SLR EOS digital camera to capture the moments with the children. I already have a kodak easyshare digital 3 mp, which takes ok shots but nothing compared to the quality I desire. I just really want to be able to bless the children through sending them photos of themselves and also using the shots for telling as many people I can about these amazing children. oh and I'm from Australia so I'll happily cover any postage costs. If anyone has one they no longer need and would willing pass it to me, I'd be extremely grateful. my email is [email protected]. thank you xx

totiegirl said:
I already have a kodak easyshare digital 3 mp, which takes ok shots but nothing compared to the quality I desire. I just really want to be able to bless the children through sending them photos of themselves and also using the shots for telling as many people I can about these amazing children.

I can definately understand your desire for high image quality.

The children, and most people in the world will hardly notice the difference between well taken 3 mp images and images from a higher quality camera. Good luck on finding a better camera, but if you have to use the 3 mp Kodak don't let it slow you down. With your drive it can do the job.

thanks for the advice..and the links. Your right about the children wanting to see themselves on the camera..they go crazy with it. I particularly want a better quality because I also use the photos for publication, newsletters and dvds to show the world about these kids. I'm still learning about cameras so I'd be happy with any type of digital SLR, I just requested canon because its the only one I knew of. Soooooo...if any one has an older one they no longer need, I would be forever grateful to you. Thanks totiegirl xx

:/ I have no DSLR.

What organization do you work with/for?

Nobody will trust a complete stranger who's first post is asking for a piece of expensive equipment. Why haven't your charity given you a proper email?

If you can substanciate your charity claims and get the backing of the organisation, go directly to Canon - they'll be happy to donate to a good cause.

I'm supprised this thread has been allowed to stay for so long.

I go to russia with an organisation called 'Kids outreach International'...you can check out the website at www.kidsoutreach.org click on newsletters then 2004 newsletter and scroll down to pg 6. You can then read about our australian team in Novosibirsk. Currently we are the only people in the world invited into this area to minister to these children.

I have asked canon australia to donate to our team but they didn't even reply.

I understand that you would be unsure about my credibility, if anyone is willing to give for the benefit of the children, then I can happily supply you with confirmation from the organisation or my church pastor. You know there are still some good hearted people in the world...not everyone is out to get all they can, some still give. Cheers..totiegirl xx

How about a film SLR? You can pick up a Ricoh KR-5 or KR-10 for about $30 on Ebay. It'll take great photos, although the kids won't be able to see them on the back of the camera.

I need a digital simply because I can't afford film processing. I print out photos as I need them to send to the kids, and this year my team mate took his laptop so I was able to take photos from last year on disk to show them. And 'cause I love watching the kids 'see' themselves as soon as I take the shot, as I don't get to see alot of these kids again.

I HIGHLY doubt anyone is going to GIVE you a DSLR.

It took me about 18months to save for mine. People don't have that kind of money to throw away on a camera just to give away.

And by the way you said you want it for publications, newsletters and DVD's in a later post to the first.

You didn't mention that in the first, and I think that is very rude. Someone could have given you a camera to make the kids happy, and you are there sending photos and using them for other reasons to what you stated.

I think a 3MP camera would be adequate for what you need it for. And if not, buy a film SLR. They are as cheap as anything, easy to get, and film processing seriously isn't THAT much. How many pictures would you be planning on taking for promotional purposes?

If you approached Canon as you did this forum, I'm not surprised they didn't respond.

Speak to someone in the organisation that's used to approaching people and companies on charity business and get them to approach the big co's. Afterall, the camera should be donated to the charity not just to someone that occasionally volunteers for them.

I'm even more amazed that this thread is still here. :lol:

I guess it's just a friendly day all around today.

Why don't you get in touch with Ritz camera or Kodak to see if they can get you a deal with developing the film. Kodak has sponsorship links in their professional site as does Fuji and other manufacturers. If you get in touch with them and your organization is truly a non-profit organization and the intentions of this post are correct, they will probably entertain your request and would be more in a position to give things away than any of us on this forum.

Now...seeing as you already have a Kodak 3MP camera, I don't know if you're trying to print billboards on the side of the interstate but anything you take with that camera should be enough quality to print on any website and could as well print the cover of a magazine. If you take that into consideration, you'll understand why everyone that has replied thus far would get the impression that you are just trying to use the name of an organization to get one of these hard working people to give you something for nothing. Otherwise, you would've already known about the sponsorship links on the major camera manufacturers.

Sorry to be harsh...

But in a room full of strangers, your going to have to be more convincing for someone to give up a relatively expensive item for free. Flat out... your request sounds like a scam. In the world of charity organizations..... there's a lot of scam artists out there.

If you are being honest... follow the advice already posted. Contact your sponsors. possible future sponsors and manufacturers like canon, pentax, nikon kodak.. etc. BUT.. do it as a representative of KOI and not as an individual who happens to claim to be a member of KIO. Have those parties involved contact you through verifiable channels within KOI. I personally would like the contact information to Kari and Marja-leena Lhelma before even considering any donation to your organization.

DSLRs are more than you need. Your 3mp camera, internet access, and laptop you mentioned is more than what some organizations are working with. More concern should be expressed to those kids than the "quality" of the pictures for your MARKETING.. er... publications.

I personally am very skeptical of any charity organization that is a limited liability company ... KIO, LTD. I am also very skeptical of any charity organization that has strong ties to other organizations including religious organizations.

Most reactions

Back