Warbler, What do you think of the PP

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot these tonight and did a little post production on them. I cropped then tweaked the levels, upped the saturation a little and then unsharp mask. Too much ? too little ?
YellowWarblerTwo021copy.jpg

YellowWarblerTwo020copy.jpg

YellowWarblerTwo006copy.jpg

I don't have a lot of technical knowledge, so my suggestion is purely from a birding level (great job at getting close enough to see the whiskers around the beak btw). The yellow warbler just just a tad orangey. Were you shooting near sunset though?

All in all though, nice close shot.

I don't have a lot of technical knowledge, so my suggestion is purely from a birding level (great job at getting close enough to see the whiskers around the beak btw). The yellow warbler just just a tad orangey. Were you shooting near sunset though?

All in all though, nice close shot.

Yes. about a half hour before sunset. That was pretty much the hue the sun gave him. I only upped the saturation a smidge.
Here is a shot a little earlier on a different day

YellowWarblerinCedarcopy.jpg

Nice shots - especially considering that the sky behind looks to be grey overcast!
Pose wise number 2 is the better as you have the bird almost facing the camera - he is just a little too high, but in all you have captured a really low down angle which is great. Its also great that you got him in a tree and yet there are no branches or twigs crossing the view = which can often happen
As for the pp - I think you have done well with it - though I can't comment on colours. One tip that would improve the look of 1 and 2 at websize is to resize from the original in stages - say 2 or 3 stages and at each smaller size apply a weak unsharpen mask to the shot - this is because resizing will reduce the sharpness of the original and a big resize will reduce quality moreso.
Great shots!

ahem - that 4th shot is now stitting as the best for me - the only niggle is the small amout of plant infront of his chest, but its really a small thing and it does not really detract from the shot - and its not really something that you have much control over ;)

Most reactions

Back