was this a deal

archer379

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok I am new. I bought a d 40 back at easter well a guy i work with said he had some of his dads ld nikon stuff. here is a list

28-70
50mm f1.8
70-210
100mm 1:2.8
vivitar flash
nikon fm2 (camera)
tele converter
small tri pod
light meter
2 soft cases
1 metal case
2 point and shoot
1 polroid
the lens are all vivitar i bought all this for a 100.00 bucks. I was told that all nikon lens work with my d40 however when i connect the lens the camera says lens not attched in manual mode i can take pictures but have to set the apeture manually will these hurt my camera at all. I know i got deal would i best to keep it and learn how to use these lens or would i be better to sell it and get glass that would fit and work with me camera?

Well he's sort of right. Most nikon lenses will mount to the D40, but the problem is to make the D40 lighter and cheaper than the D50/D80, they took some stuff out of it. That resulted in a "slight" incompatability with lenses. You mostly just lost aperture and autofocus. You just work those two manually. It will not hurt your camera in the slightest.

Well you did get a great deal. Let alone, the D40 is worth way more than $100, depending on the condition that is... Your lenses shouldn't damage the camera, it's just that they're not as high tech as most lenses out today. Most probable is that these lenses made by Vivitar were meant to be used on a film SLR where you normally adjust everything yourself.

With the issue of having to set the aperture yourself, this can't in any way hurt your camera. You are actually adjusting something internally within the lens, not the camera, meaning no interaction whatsoever with the lens. All the aperture is is the size of the opening of the lens, allowing a certain amount of light inside.

For me I think the deal is OK since I just bought things that interest me anyway.
As for the lenses. I bought nikon 50mm f1.8 new and the instruction states that the aperture must be locked at f22. If your lens has only upto f16 than lock it at f16. That way the camera takes over the aperture operation. Hopefully it works.

Anyway that's all my input and have fun with those gadgets.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back