Washed out color with telephoto lens

jvonderahe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm having problems with the color wasing out whenever I use a telephoto zoom lens. My camera is a Nikon D90 useing a Nikon 70-200 lens a 400 shutter with apature wide open and the ISO set to auto(Usually 3200). Images in the viewfinder look great but the digital image loses all the color. Is my only option a very expensive high quality lens,or am I just missing something?

ISO 3200 is very high for a D90.

The D90 can be set up to make photos in one of 2 color spaces:
  1. sRGB
  2. Adobe RGB
If you make photos in the Adobe RGB color space, then display them as sRGB the color will mute to an extent.

Other factors that can account for colors that lack saturation are back lit subjects, having a low quality UV filter on the lens for 'protection', not using the lens hood when the lens is pointed near bright light sources.

It would be helpful if you were to post some example photos.

3200 iso and shooting wide open both will degrade the image quality.

I'm not sure what you mean by "losing all the color," I assume your exaggerating a bit. If not then you must have your camera set to black and white.

Try to shoot in P mode to see what the camera gives you. If the photos are fine, then you know your setting is to be blamed.

Shooting at ISO3200 is quite unusual, unless you are trying to shoot in the dark without flash. In any case, I'd recommend using a tripod and shoot at ISO400 or less, with the appropriate exposure setting. It sounds like you have over exposed your photos. Try multiple bracketing stops as well.

I shoot 35mm and different types of negative gives me different results with the same lens. I just have to learn the differences and plan for it.

shutter speed 400, aperture wide open, ISO3200... either you are shooting in very low light or something is wrong with the camera. You shouldn't have to open the aperture that much at ISO3200 in average light. What are you shooting?... sounds like you're trying to capture a speeding car in sunset at 200mm. Why not drop the shutter speed and pull back to ISO800 or something? Any image you shoot at 3200 is going to have far less quality and color depth.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back