Washed up

Scuba

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksidephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't been on here in almost a year, but haven't stopped shooting. I have learned a lot in the last year and wanted to get back involved with this forum. So please welcome me back with some good honest C&C.

A piece of coral that washed up on Hilton Head Island while I was there in November.

Shot with Canon 5D | 17-40mm | f/14 | 1/60s | ISO 100 | Handheld | edited in LR4

$IMG_5224.jpg

$IMG_5224.jpgI felt like it needed a little boost in contrast especially in the sky. I really liked the composition and loved the colors but felt like the sky could be brought out a little. I overdid it a bit but had to work fast. Anyway take it however you would like, its just my 2 cents! great photo overall though

EDIT: after posting it i feel like it is significantly too dark overall but you get the idea

Yeah I certainly see what you are saying. I pulled the image back up and it needed more contrast. I made a couple changes to the sky to improve the contrast. Thanks for your edit and comments.

$IMG_5224-5.jpg

I like this a lot, it's a good shot and a nice find.

I much prefer the original though as the sky tones are nearer the beach which add to the feeling of desolation, being out of place and tie in nicley with the title. I think that in the more contrasty version the sky competes with the coral for your attention too much and it becomes more about the sky than the coral.

I much prefer the original though as the sky tones are nearer the beach which add to the feeling of desolation, being out of place and tie in nicley with the title. I think that in the more contrasty version the sky competes with the coral for your attention too much and it becomes more about the sky than the coral.

Thank you for your input. I see what you are saying with the sky starting to compete.

I agree with weepete on this. We're seeing a movement toward the ridiculous with regard to sky renderings these days, with simply way,way too much saturation,color,and drama in the skies, to the point that it's well, just over the top.

I agree with weepete on this. We're seeing a movement toward the ridiculous with regard to sky renderings these days, with simply way,way too much saturation,color,and drama in the skies, to the point that it's well, just over the top.

That is fair enough. The second edit i did kinda go crazy and was thinking how can I get more drama out of it. Did you think the original was over the top as well? My brother did describe it to me as "Armageddon looking."

Most reactions

Back