Washington Monument in Early Morning

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot this early morning this weekend on a very cloudy over cast night.

ISO 100
F 5.6
15Sec exposure

Attachments

• $Washington Monument.jpg
    $Washington Monument.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 214
This pic could benefit a recrop utilizing the rule of thirds... That said... I would still have no clue what I was looking at... What is that?

At any rate. Happy photoing... and Welcome to the forum.

reflections can usually be split down the middle comp wise, but this subject is so skinny I dont think it works as well that way. Also if your going to leave it like this, I would content aware fill in photoshop that tree out. Then you would have horizontal and vertical symmetry. Thats just how I would approach it.

reflections can usually be split down the middle comp wise, but this subject is so skinny I dont think it works as well that way. Also if your going to leave it like this, I would content aware fill in photoshop that tree out. Then you would have horizontal and vertical symmetry. Thats just how I would approach it.

Agree. The limb is distracting. Great shot though.

This pic could benefit a recrop utilizing the rule of thirds... That said... I would still have no clue what I was looking at... What is that?

At any rate. Happy photoing... and Welcome to the forum.

I'd love to see how you'd crop it.

Thanks for the pointers, I actually wanted the tree in there to show some distance between where I was and where the monument was. I do have other shots of the monument that are full frame and done veritcally vs. horizontally.

I didn’t knew Washington could be so beautiful in early morning and it’s perfect shot to be exposed.

That said... I would still have no clue what I was looking at... What is that?

ummmmmm... it's the Washington Monument? wtf? :lol:

To the OP...

1. You had an awesome sky.
2. You chose a really bad composition.
3. You chose a pretty bad place to shoot from.

You may not have been able to control 3, but 2 is unfortunate. New crop is better but something tells me there must have been SOMETHING around there you could have taken advantage of to make this a better shot.

Still, nice exposure and such.

I didn't realize we had a glowing monument.

I would reckon you're right, you had no idea that the monument was lit by a number of lights. If you're an American though, it's pretty obvious what we are looking at IMO. You can't really say that you'd understand immediately what this is if it was a black silhouette.

I suggest you google "Washington monument at night."

OP, the composition is lacking but you have a great subject. I would love to see more if you're in close proximity to the monument.

You know the bigger looming question here is why, on this forum, when someone has a question it is met with the tone of "You are a blithering Idiot!" ?

I don't know why I bother trying to come back here after my last tangle with the "Rabbit".

If there is a Mod here Please remove my account and my threads.

Thank you for your time.

You know the bigger looming question here is why, on this forum, when someone has a question it is met with the tone of "You are a blithering Idiot!" ?

I don't know why I bother trying to come back here after my last tangle with the "Rabbit".

If there is a Mod here Please remove my account and my threads.

Thank you for your time.

I don't think anyone was suggesting you are a blithering idiot. I certainly wasn't. I was simply agreeing with you that you didn't realize the monument was lit by a number of lights, and that by googling "Washington monument" at night, you'd see several similar photos.

I did find it quite odd that you didn't know what you were looking at, judging by the thread title and how iconic the monument is. But I did not think you were an idiot by any stretch of the imagination.

manaheim, you bully. If you keep driving people off with your vicious attacks, there won't be anyone left here pretty soon.

Photographiend, since you didn't recognize the Washington Monument, I am gonna take a guess that maybe you don't live in the USA, and maybe even english isn't your first language? In any case, I though manaheim's tone was a little rude, but mostly trying to joke around with you a little. Sometimes these things backfire and the other guy just sees an insult, especially if there's a language barrier, but sometimes when there is not.

I love it when people break the rules and others don't get it and have a fit. I think the photo works just fine as presented. I get the visual importance of the branch and the play on symmetry. eswebster's crop follows the rules to a T, but the result couldn't be more cliche. The play between the strong vertical and horizontal just went away. The branch is such a strong visual arrow emphasizing the obnoxiously obvious focal target which is made even more obvious by splitting the horizon in half emhasizing the uber illumnated subject even more. The monument itself broke rules, a neo-egyptian obelisk standing as the tallest structure on earth. This image simply reinforces that. Yes, I like it.

I don't think anyone was suggesting you are a blithering idiot. I certainly wasn't. I was simply agreeing with you that you didn't realize the monument was lit by a number of lights, and that by googling "Washington monument" at night, you'd see several similar photos.

I did find it quite odd that you didn't know what you were looking at, judging by the thread title and how iconic the monument is. But I did not think you were an idiot by any stretch of the imagination.

Nothing against you Tyler. Your comment was not the one that got my Goat.

amolitor - I'm not sure if that was intended to be reassuring, understanding or a cloaked insult... I am both American and English speaking.

That said, that is the first time I have seen that Monument illuminated. To me the illumination makes it look kind of cheesy. With the two big red dots at the top... (not meant as an insult to the work just seemed odd that it wouldn't be presented in a more flattering way 'cause in my mind "that" couldn't be the "Washington Monument") This is why I asked what it was. Also being an American, I know we have a tendency to make Mock monuments as are seen all over Vegas... I was wondering if this was the case here.

Most reactions

Back