Wasps...some with prey

orionmystery

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
orionmystery.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Awesome pictures. Have you ever been stung by one? I was trying to get a picture of a bee the other day, and the whole time I was worried about getting stung and swelling up like the little girl who turned in to a blueberry on Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

It's easy: don't piss then off and they won't sting you. At least, that's how I go about it.

Great shots as usual, Mr. OP

Amazing shots as is the norm with you. Certain kinds of wasps will sting spiders to paralyze them and then use them in their nests for their babies to eat on after they hatch. Years ago as a child living in the country I was walking up our gravel road and saw a wasp attacking a spider. I got very close to watch and then decided to give the wasp a hand whereas I picked up a rock and smashed the spider. The wasp immediately flew away. It wasn't until years later I learned the wasp was not trying to kill the spider but only to make it immobile by stinging and thereby paralyzing it. One of my very first macro shots was of a spider a wasp had done this to. Since the spider couldn't move I could get in very close. Also in one shot I got a shot of the wasp but it is blurred. Most all your shots are truly amazing.

Jerry

Awesome pictures. Have you ever been stung by one? I was trying to get a picture of a bee the other day, and the whole time I was worried about getting stung and swelling up like the little girl who turned in to a blueberry on Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

It's easy: don't piss then off and they won't sting you. At least, that's how I go about it.

Great shots as usual, Mr. OP

Amazing shots as is the norm with you. Certain kinds of wasps will sting spiders to paralyze them and then use them in their nests for their babies to eat on after they hatch. Years ago as a child living in the country I was walking up our gravel road and saw a wasp attacking a spider. I got very close to watch and then decided to give the wasp a hand whereas I picked up a rock and smashed the spider. The wasp immediately flew away. It wasn't until years later I learned the wasp was not trying to kill the spider but only to make it immobile by stinging and thereby paralyzing it. One of my very first macro shots was of a spider a wasp had done this to. Since the spider couldn't move I could get in very close. Also in one shot I got a shot of the wasp but it is blurred. Most all your shots are truly amazing.

Jerry

Thanks for the comments, Jerry, GPL, mfdrookie516.

mfdrookie516 - nope..never been stung any any bees/wasps in my 4 yrs + of macro. Been bitten by beetles twice though when I tried to handle them :D. Some even climbed onto my hand when I held the leaves they were on.

Jerry - yes..they do that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back