Wat Chaiyamangalaram - The Largest Thai temple with UNESCO Heritage status

mylo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I visited Wat Chaiyamangalaram Thai Temple at Burmah Street on my recent trip to Penang. Wat Chaiya is the best Thai temple in Malaysia by far.

This Chaiya temple really amazes me. The God idols in the exterior of the temples are decorated with shiny and blink blink ornaments - a vibrant display colours and artistic design. The carvings and motifs are work of artisan that put enormous effort to create real-like God statues.

The internal of Chaiya temple is a serene and peaceful place. The floor tiles are imprinted with repeated motifs of lily plants - a very oriental feeling. I saw a HUGE reclining Buddha at the middle of the temple. Later, I discovered the statue was only built in 1958, in conjunction with the 2500th anniversary of the birth of Buddha, at a cost of RM100,000.

Here are some photos I took. C & Cs are definitely most welcome :D

Picture 1 - A praying deity

WAT49_0249.jpg

Picture 2 - Buddha's Praying Beads

WAT4_0197.jpg

Picture 3 - The Golden Deity

WAT16_0260.jpg

Picture 4 - Buddha's Hand

WAT3_0194.jpg

Picture 5 - Meditating Guardian

WAT8_0209.jpg

Feel free to visit my photo blog and travelogue to view more pictures:
http://myloismylife.blogspot.com/

Cheers!
mylo

Last edited:
Very nice and very colourful detail of the interior of the temple whose name I am not even trying to type here ... ;)
I am now curious to also see some wide angle photos to get a feel for the context these statues are in.
All in all, the photos resemble in some way those which my sister took in Myanmar when she travelled there. Though when she was in Malaysia, she did not visit any temples, I think...

Very nice and very colourful detail of the interior of the temple whose name I am not even trying to type here ... ;)
I am now curious to also see some wide angle photos to get a feel for the context these statues are in.
All in all, the photos resemble in some way those which my sister took in Myanmar when she travelled there. Though when she was in Malaysia, she did not visit any temples, I think...

Thank you for your comments! :hug::

I don't think I have taken any wide angle photo of the whole temple. Only bit and pieces here and there. mostly close-up shot. Maybe these photos are helpful:

Picture 6 - The Main Entrance

WAT31_0158.jpg

Picture 7 - The Tower and the Temple

WAT34_0181.jpg

Picture 8 - The Pagoda

WAT14_0257.jpg

Cheers!
mylo

Most reactions

Back