Wat Pho - Temple of Reclining Buddha, Largest & Oldest Temple in Bangkok

mylo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After visiting Hat Yai in southern Thailand, I boarded a diesel train to Bangkok Hua Lamphong main station. It was a tiring and sleepless 19 hours ride. But then again, my sleepiness was all gone when I explore Wat Pho วัดโพธิ์ - The Temple of Reclining Buddha. The temple is actually much older than the city of Bangkok itself. It was founded in the 17th century, making it the oldest and also biggest temple in Bangkok. The entire place is a whopping 80 000 square metres wide. I took nearly four hours to explore the entire temple. The main attractions of the temple are four gigantic chedis or Thai Pagodas and the world's largest golden reclining Buddha.

Here are some pictures I've taken from my recent trip:

Picture 1 - The Philosopher Stone

WATPHO4_1341.jpg

A close-up shot of a rock statue guarding one of the many gates in the temple.

Picture 2 - I Bow to YOU

WATPHO29_1268.jpg

I was squatting on the floor (moving left and right) until I got this angle.

Picture 3 - Phra Maha Chedi Si Rajakarn

WATPHO6_1349.jpg

Phra Maha Chedi Si Rajakarn is a group of four huge pagodas/chedis surrounded
with Thai-Chinese style sheltered gates and decorated with colour-glazed tiles.
There are over 95 chedis in Wat Po วัดโพธิ์.

Picture 4 - The Offering

WATPHO24_1232.jpg

A close-up shot on the offerings lying on the sacred bodhi tree in the temple.

Cheers to all & thank you for looking! ;)
mylo

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice series. These are really beautiful. :thumbup: I always enjoy looking at your photos and I'm always amazed at the beautiful color the Asian culture includes in everything.

Very nice series, thanks for sharing.

Hi mooimeisie, Thanks for your kind comments!! :hug::

Nice series. These are really beautiful. :thumbup: I always enjoy looking at your photos and I'm always amazed at the beautiful color the Asian culture includes in everything.

Dagwood56, Thank you for looking again! Credits goes to the sunny blue sky. It was a great day for photography. :wav:

Beautiful series, love no.3!

Q: What is pagodas/chedis?

Thank you again, Al-Wazeer! ;)

A: Those Thai Pagodas or chedis were erected to pay tribute to former Thai Kings. There are over 95 chedis in Wat Pho. But, the four largest chedis are best known as 'Chedi of the Four Kings'. The last big chedi (one of the chedis for the 4 kings), in dark blue tile mosaic, represents the reign of King Rama IV or King Mongkut.

More Pictures :blushing:

Picture 5 - How Big Is It, Really?

WATPHO101_054.jpg

The Reclining Buddha also best known as Phra Buddhasaiyas พระพุทธไสยาสน์

Picture 6 - This is LONG!

WATPHO100_053.jpg

This statue is 46 metres long, with the dimensions at the face of 15 metres high and at each foot
of 3 metres high and 5 metres long. The hall was built after the statue of reclining Buddha was completed.

Picture 7 - Phra Buddhasaiyas พระพุทธไสยาสน์

WATPHO96_046.jpg

Sparkling 'GOLD' - A.W.E.S.O.M.E!

Cheers & thank you for looking! :hugs:
mylo

5 thru 7 are awesome! I love #7. Absolutely beautiful!

beautiful pictures. yes, it looked like a wonderful day for shooting. thank you for sharing.

Dagwood56 & iaredavid,

Thank you for looking and your kind comments!! :hug::

Most reactions

Back