Watch?

Just a technical thought with watch photography. Many times you see a photograph showcasing a watch the hour and minute hands will be at the "10 and 2" position. Most of the time it's the hour hand at the 10 and the minute hand at the 2. This is to make sure hands are framing the logo of the watchmaker rather than obscuring it. Some companies are pretty anal about it... for example if you see a timex ad in print, the time on the watch will be 10:09 and 36 seconds. Without fail. Even with their digitals!

Again, just a thought.

Just a technical thought with watch photography. Many times you see a photograph showcasing a watch the hour and minute hands will be at the "10 and 2" position. Most of the time it's the hour hand at the 10 and the minute hand at the 2. This is to make sure hands are framing the logo of the watchmaker rather than obscuring it. Some companies are pretty anal about it... for example if you see a timex ad in print, the time on the watch will be 10:09 and 36 seconds. Without fail. Even with their digitals!

Again, just a thought.

Ya that makes sense never thought about blocking the logo.. Thanks for the tip :)

Aside from the time issue, the lighting is a bit off. You've got a nasty highlight on the upper right of the watch crystal that's distracting. Also, I would advise to not use a softbox for this kind of shot. As you can see in the bezel, the edge of the softbox is reflected as a dark gray band under the highlight. Softboxes also tend to create a highlight with no gradient, they just stop. One other niggle is that the position of the light makes it very difficult to read the name of the manufacturer. Sometimes when you're going for a dark watch shot like this you may have to take a second shot for the dial to get the highlights in the dial where they need to be. This way people can see the details in the dial like the watch name, hands, markers, etc.

I liked 2 but reading others posts apparently I am wrong, lol.

Regardless-2.
And though I would not have caught it; the 10 & 2 advice is good advice.

Most reactions

Back