Water looks like fog around this rock. C&C at will

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These came out better than I expected. Was doing more silky water stuff and long exposures...after review...to me this looks more like fog not water...or mist even. Kinda cool.

1 and 4 are pretty much the same shot, 1 is as 6sec and 4 is at 10sec. I'm thinking I like 1 better, but 4 looks more like a thick layer of fog which is kinda neat.
I am really amazed how these came out so visible as by this time it was getting pretty low on light as the sun was pretty much gone.

$DSC_0137-1.jpg$DSC_0138-1.jpg$DSC_0139-1.jpg$DSC_0140-1.jpg

I think it would look better if you add more of the surrounding. The rock by it self is not interesting enough for me.

P.S. Your sensor is dirty.

I have more, still working and sorting. Just kinda liked this one and threw it up.

How can you tell my sensor is dirty? My camera has an auto cleaning thingy, how often should I use that and how will I know when to use it?

I like #4 best. I find that little patch of sunlight(?) somewhat intriguing. But it feels like something is missing. And, as Schwettylens pointed out, your sensor needs to be cleaned.

I have more, still working and sorting. Just kinda liked this one and threw it up.

How can you tell my sensor is dirty? My camera has an auto cleaning thingy, how often should I use that and how will I know when to use it?

Your camera just flicks the mirror to get rid dust sticking on the mirror. It doesnt really clean the sensor. Sometimes you can just blast air using that big squishy thing onto the sensor facing down after you lock the mirror. Sometimes you need better cleaning than that. Look at the photos. You see dots on the top left. Usually you start seeing it when you do smaller aperture shots.

There are various products and videos if you google cleaning your camera's sensor. It's isn't hard to do yourself if you're careful. Otherwise, find a camera shop that will do it for you in-house.

ok, thanks. I thought it was crap on my monitor, lol, usually always have crap on my monitor.

I'm not comfy doing it, only had it 3 weeks. lol. I'll have it done and watch and learn.

I noticed there is a "clean image sensor" menu, which I can set to clean at start up and shut down or both. Is this very useful? Maybe help fight buildup?

I noticed there is a "clean image sensor" menu, which I can set to clean at start up and shut down or both. Is this very useful? Maybe help fight buildup?
Yes, it's useful. Go into that menu and set it to clean on both startup and shutdown. That will do the best job of getting rid of stuff before it's had time to settle and "stick" to the sensor very much.

That said, automatic sensor cleaning systems in modern cameras do a LOT better job than cameras of just a few years ago that had none, but they're not perfect, by any means. And once some bits get stuck in place and have been there awhile, as yours might well be, automatic cleaning may not help at all, and then it's time for more direct measures.

The very first thing to try is a hand blower. The Large Giottos Rocket Blaster is a popular choice. When using it, don't touch the tip onto the surface of the sensor. Just get near it and blast away. Do NOT use canned air for this purpose. It has small amounts of oil and other stuff in it that will fly out and stick to your sensor which will likely make your problem worse. The Rocket Blaster is also good for dusting off lenses, mirrors and other camera type stuff. Every photographer should have one in their bag, IMHO.

If the Rocket Blaster doesn't do the trick, you'll need to get more physical with the problem. It's not as difficult as you might think, but it does take some tools/supplies that are made specifically for the task because they leave no residue and no bits of material like fibers behind, the knowledge of how to use them (follow the instructions to the letter), and a delicate, steady hand to actually do the job so that you're not bumping around inside the chamber like a bull in a china cabinet while doing the cleaning.

There are several products made for this purpose. I like the Visible Dust products, personally. They also have a lot of information on their site about cleaning sensors. You should check it out, if just to get an idea of what would be required, even if you don't want to start doing it yourself yet: Sensor cleaning system for digital camera. An even better article on sensor cleaning is here: Cleaning sensors by Thom Hogan You DEFINITELY should take a couple minutes to read that one.

The first time I did it nearly 10 years ago, I was nervous as could be. After a couple times, you find that there's really nothing to it. One thing to keep in mind that might allay your fears somewhat is that you can't actually touch the sensor because it has filters over it and it's sealed in behind that window of filters. What you're cleaning is the filter, not the actual, expensive, electronic sensor chip, which is sealed and can't actually get anything on it. It'll be okay as long as you follow the instructions and don't do anything crazy.

If you're still not ready to clean it yourself, try a local camera shop. Beyond that, you've got to get it to a Nikon authorized service center. The long and the short of it is: You're going to want to learn how to do this yourself in order to save time and costs in the long run. The last thing anybody ever wants to do is box up their camera and send it off to a service center for an indefinite amount of time just to get it cleaned. Learn to do it yourself and in 20 minutes, you're back in the game.

In the meantime, you can easily clone or heal out the spots with your favorite photo editing program, but that turns into a pain in the behind to have to do it for each shot that you want to use. NX2 Software from Nikon has "Image Dust Off", which stores a reference of where they dust is, then attempts to automatically clone/heal it for you. You'd have to ask some Nikon folks who use it if it works though - I wouldn't have any idea about that.

By the way, what Schwettylens said: "Your camera just flicks the mirror to get rid dust sticking on the mirror. It doesnt really clean the sensor" is wrong. He's basically a noob who's learned the basics and now thinks he's a pro because he's finding work on the weekends (as do 10,000 Facebook and Craigslist fauxtographers). Be careful of taking advice from him without checking it out from other sources.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
By the way, what Schwettylens said: "Your camera just flicks the mirror to get rid dust sticking on the mirror. It doesnt really clean the sensor" is wrong. He's basically a noob who's learned the basics and now thinks he's a pro because he's finding work on the weekends (as do 10,000 Facebook and Craigslist fauxtographers). Be careful of taking advice from him without checking it out from other sources.

Wow Buckster. Nice level of maturity.

OP, the dust spots are easy enough to take care of in processing. I usually use a healing brush that's maybe slightly larger than the dust spot, define a source point, and just click each one out. Should be pretty easy on this photo, considering the subject matter isn't terribly complex.

First problem with your assessment: What I said is true.

Second problem: What you said might mean more to me if the person in question wasn't such a drama queen.

Third: You've got little room to talk about others Tyler. You've made plenty of comments to or about others that were nothing more than e-bitchslaps, so don't even try to lay that crap on me. In point of fact, what you just wrote is a sarcasm-laden e-bitchslap towards me.

I go out of my way to be as helpful as possible, to be friendly, to be courteous and to be factual and informative. That said, some folks around here deserve to have the truth pointed out about them from time to time, even if it comes off as somewhat direct.

First problem with your assessment: What I said is true.

In your head, yes it may be true.

Second problem: What you said might mean more to me if the person in question wasn't such a drama queen.

So you specifically went out of your way to fuel the drama by taking jabs in your last paragraph?

Third: You've got little room to talk about others Tyler. You've made plenty of comments to or about others that were nothing more than e-bitchslaps, so don't even try to lay that crap on me. In point of fact, what you just wrote is a sarcasm-laden e-bitchslap towards me.

I don't usually let it carry over into other threads, when the topic of the prior argument isn't being discussed. Granted, I do deliver some e-aggro, which I have been working on taming. But I am also 40+ years younger than you, judging solely by your avatar. I thought you'd be above that. Apparently I was wrong.

I go out of my way to be as helpful as possible, to be friendly, to be courteous and to be factual and informative. That said, some folks around here deserve to have the truth pointed out about them from time to time, even if it comes off as somewhat direct.

You do go out of your way to be helpful, but rather than simply correcting Schwetty, you chose to take jabs at his photographic work which has absolutely zero bearing on this thread. With the purpose of stirring up more bad blood, and dragging it into another thread.

So, you're carrying forward with this? Do you want to have a full on fight about it, until an admin has to step in and shut us down, or what?

Just let me know, Mr. Ready-to-lecture-others-about-maturity.

By the way, I'm 53, but I'm still human, with all the same emotions and foibles all humans have. You don't become a saint simply by getting older. I stand by everything I said as the truth of the matter from my perspective. Disagree and/or disregard any or all of it as you please - it makes zero difference to me.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back