Waterfalls of Tellico

TennesseanGent

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out today looking for some long exposure material and wound up in Tellico shooting waterfalls. No PP, just a D3000, kit lens, and 50 prime. Lemme know what y'all think.

DSC_9952 by theAaronWheeler, on Flickr

DSC_9938 by theAaronWheeler, on Flickr

DSC_9909 by theAaronWheeler, on Flickr

DSC_9903 by theAaronWheeler, on Flickr

DSC_9948 by theAaronWheeler, on Flickr

DSC_9944 by theAaronWheeler, on Flickr

DSC_9921 by theAaronWheeler, on Flickr

DSC_9905 by theAaronWheeler, on Flickr

DSC_9884 by theAaronWheeler, on Flickr

Welcome to TPF, from a fellow Tennessean--just up the road from you in Knoxville!
I used to go fishing in Tellico Creek quite a bit--back when I was married--but haven't been in many years.
Was never all that interesting in the fishing part, but it sure is a pretty area.

WAY too many photos for someone as ADD as me to focus on at once. ;)
In general: I like the water flow in most of them. You've done a nice job of that. The exposure seems to fluctuate, from okay to a bit dark.
Some of them are really nice, but a few (in particular, 9903) just aren't that distinctive or interesting of a subject. Also, 9921--I think--seems "off" somehow; maybe it's the exposure, or the white balance or some combination of things, but it's just flat looking.

Keep shooting, and keep posting!

Thanks for the C&c! I did these because 1) I've been wanting to nail waterfall exposures and 2) in my photo class at Pellissippi, our assignment is to focus on capturing freeze motion & motion blur shots. Today was extremely overcast, which from what I've read is the best condition to shoot waterfalls. I do agree that 9921 appears to be underexposed, but the rocks at Bald River Falls are jet black so I think that's why it gives off that look. I didn't want to blow out the water flow in the shots since its the subject.

9921 is underexposed.. and you could lighten it a bit, without blowing it out. The background is much too dark.

I've seen some of those in person, I think. I don't know the name of the road but it's kind of parallel to the Skyway going out of Tellico Plains. Some of my favorite riding spots over in there.

Some nice flowing shots but as Charlie said 9921 is underexposed.

I increased the brightest highlight to about 245... and selectively did some contrast and saturation. I like the image best of all you posted.. it just needs some work.

1-2.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen some of those in person, I think. I don't know the name of the road but it's kind of parallel to the Skyway going out of Tellico Plains. Some of my favorite riding spots over in there.

Some nice flowing shots but as Charlie said 9921 is underexposed.
Thanks! Most of these were off the road that takes you to Bald River Falls and North River Road.

I increased the brightest highlight to about 245... and selectively did some contrast and saturation. I like the image best of all you posted.. it just needs some work.

1-2.jpg
Appreciate the tip and edit! I haven't messed around with the pics yet. Lately I've been trying to not edit so much and trying to get a better exposure when I snap it.

Thanks! Most of these were off the road that takes you to Bald River Falls and North River Road.
Yep, that's it. I took a bunch of shots at Bald River Falls and then went on up to the Skyway. If I'm not mistaken that's Bald River Falls in the photo Charlie edited.

And on another side note concerning Tennessee. This is my twelfth year of retirement but I've been stuck in the Chicago area because I'm divorced with a fifteen year old daughter who lives with me even though my ex has legal custody and I would never take off and leave my daughter for any reason. BUT: In just a little more than two years when she has graduated from high school, is eighteen and has her own car that dad will be buying her as a graduation present I am seriously thinking of relocating to Tennessee. I was born and raised in the country and love nature. Next month during my daughter's Spring break I will travel down I24 to Nashville, then on to Chattanooga to check out that area, then back up north probably on US11 instead of I75 to check out the area between there and Knoxville. I've visited Tennessee several times and love the mountains and I want to be in a location where there are acres upon acres of public land where wildlife and nature is abundant. I also like hiking. Not serious overnight backpacking but walking trails.

I like your waterfall shots and seeing shots like these of your beautiful state gives me even more inspiration to make the move. So hopefully in a few years I'll be a Tennessean Gent. Well at least a Tennessean.:lol:

Jerry

Yep, that's it. I took a bunch of shots at Bald River Falls and then went on up to the Skyway. If I'm not mistaken that's Bald River Falls in the photo Charlie edited.
Yep thats Bald River Falls. I didn't get many of it 'cause the lens kept getting mist all over it plus everyone shoots it.
On a side note: My youngest son goes to Pellissippi! Art student. Think he's taking Sculpture this semester.
Haha that's awesome. I just transferred there from Tennessee Wesleyan.
I like your waterfall shots and seeing shots like these of your beautiful state gives me even more inspiration to make the move. So hopefully in a few years I'll be a Tennessean Gent. Well at least a Tennessean.:lol:

Jerry
Thanks. When you're coming up from Chatt, don't bother with US11, it's just a police trap. Just go up 75, and when you get to Cleveland, cut through it and go up highway 411. You'll be right near the Ocoee River. Keep going up near Etowah and you'll find the Hiwassee River which has great fishing.

Hey, thanks for the tip. My atlas shows 411 as being a scenic route. Great.

Jerry

Next month during my daughter's Spring break I will travel down I24 to Nashville, then on to Chattanooga to check out that area, then back up north probably on US11 instead of I75 to check out the area between there and Knoxville. I've visited Tennessee several times and love the mountains and I want to be in a location where there are acres upon acres of public land where wildlife and nature is abundant. I also like hiking. Not serious overnight backpacking but walking trails.

Jerry

when you head this way go from nashville across i40 towards cookeville. from there you can go straight south to chattanooga. along the way there are 3 falls areas. my favorite is burgess falls only because its about 15 min from the house. then we have fall creek falls about 45 min from the house and last that i have been to is rock island about 30 min from house

this is burgess falls when i was just starting with shooting falls. i have gotten a little better but still working on it.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/landscape-cityscape/217421-waterfall-c-c-please.html

Way too many photos to CC or even review. Out of the your set I like 9905 the best. It's a strong composition, with excellent exposure, and nice contrast.

I really like the last two images.....Kindly number your images, so that they can be pointed out easily. 9948 is slanted or i feel that way? .
And if the number of posts in a stretch is less they are better observed

Regards :D

Most reactions

Back