I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The last time I was in the mountains, the air was pretty hazy most days, so shooting big mountain vistas wasn't ideal. So instead, I turned my attention downward and shot a bunch of waterfalls.

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

More HERE

Nice Mike, these are really cool. :thumbup: to get the fade effect on the waterfall you just slow the shutter speed way down right? I've tried it but never really worked out.

Yup, the shutter speed will control how the moving water looks. Generally, the slower the shutter, the more blur/fade/smooth etc.

Sometimes it takes a really slow (long) shutter speed. So in most of these I used a polarizing filter, along with an ND filter and a small aperture.

number five is sweet!!

So BigMike, you stacked the ND and Polarizer filter together? Shots look great BTW.

3,5,6,7 all look pretty decent. i like 5 and 6 the most, but 3 also has a lovely quality about it. Good job on using the old saying, "When life gives you hazy days, make lemondade!" No wait...I mean....erm...you know what I mean!

I think they are all too saturated. You like your nature scenes vivid and bright, I prefer a more natural look.

Very nice photos Mike!

And thumbs up on turning a "lost" opportunity to shoot mountain vistas into a great session with waterfalls :thumbup:

3 and 4 is the same log i see up top in number 1 right lol

Yup, that's the same log. I didn't get a chance to hike up this stream very far. I was actually very close to the highway and my wife & son were sitting in the vehicle. :lol:

This is not to try to hijack the thread, but I had the very same thing happen a week ago on Mt Washington....low cloud and no visibility to take the scenic panoramas I was headed out to bring home, I found this little stream by the side of a parking lot near the upper Chalets.....spent an hour there and got this as the very first shot of the session. The flat light of the overcast cloud really helped to balance out the deep shadows I might have otherwise got from bright sunlight.........

Z9269342kw.jpg
Z9269342.jpg[

Most reactions

Back