Way to check for light leaks without using film?

Nhyrum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello good folks. I should soon be receiving a Minolta x700 that... Well should work. Anyway, I was wondering if there's a way to check for light leaks that doesn't involve burning a whole roll of film? I don't really know where to get film locally(Seattle area) and don't want to use a roll of my Kodak gold 200 just to find out the camera has a light leaks. If I've got to use film, I'll probably just look around at a couple different drug stores (I've checked a few already) for something cheap. I don't really want to use junk, random, or expired film since I want to be sure what I'm seeing is from the camera and not an odd issue with the film

No need to potentially ruin a whole roll. Load up the Gold, then tape up the Minolta with electrical tape everywhere around the back which is where almost all of the light leaks would be. Shoot away, then remove the tape for the last three or four frames. Expose these in strong light from different angles, then look at the prints. Enjoy your X700.

Once you get the camera just replace the light seals and start shooting. Maybe somewhere local there is somebody that can change the seals for you if you can not do it yourself.
Or check with the Seattle photography club on Facebook. Seattle Photography Club

Once you get the camera just replace the light seals and start shooting. Maybe somewhere local there is somebody that can change the seals for you if you can not do it yourself.
Or check with the Seattle photography club on Facebook. Seattle Photography Club
Agree+++. Light leaks in nearly all SLRs begin--and end--with an iffy seal at the hinge end of the film door.Replace it. No "Residency in Film Camera Repair" credentials required. Tons of online tutorials for this very straightforward procedure.

Not to jinx anything but do be aware that the x700 was prone to fatal strokes. Bum capacitors left many stone-cold dead. It's fixable but requires surgery. Sweet camera. I buried 2 x700s before giving up on that model totally.

Agree+++. Light leaks in nearly all SLRs begin--and end--with an iffy seal at the hinge end of the film door.Replace it. No "Residency in Film Camera Repair" credentials required. Tons of online tutorials for this very straightforward procedure.

Not to jinx anything but do be aware that the x700 was prone to fatal strokes. Bum capacitors left many stone-cold dead. It's fixable but requires surgery. Sweet camera. I buried 2 x700s before giving up on that model totally.

Thanks for the input all! I'll plan on replacing the light seals, and I'm aware of the capacitor issues on them, and if this one needs the two(I know one is more common, bit I've heard that if you're doing one, may as well do both) it's not something that would be that big of an issue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back