wb card

jackieclayton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mominmarianas.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
sorry, got a lot of questions today... can someone please explain to me what the difference in a white WB card and a grey WB card? Can I not use one or the other? I'm getting confused...

Delta | Gray Card 8x10" (2) | 22010 | B&H Photo Video
Porta Brace | White Balance Card | WBC | B&H Photo Video

And does setting my WB to custom really matter if I shoot in raw? when I was reading up on it several sites kept saying "or unless you're shooting in raw, which you can set the WB in post processing"

Thanks again!

I use a grey target. Are you wanting to set WB in camera or post? I use a grey target because when doing out door available light shots, I can not only use the target shot in post for wb correction, but when shooting I can also meter for correct exposure.

Here is how I use it for available light shooting....
I have the model hold the target for the first shot (or at least include it in the scene). I can also use spot metering to set exposure at this time. I take a shot, then get rid of the target and go through the shoot. As long as the light stays the same, the w/b will be consistant through out the shoot. If the angle of the sun changes and I start getting more or less sun on model, I may have to raise or lower my exposure at times. If we move into, say, a shadey spot, I just repeat the 1 shot target process. Then when I down load the photos at home, I select the first target image and all subsequent images relating to that shot and using the eye dropper tool, I click the grey area, and presto chango WB is set.

Lastolite | EZYBalance Grey/White Card - 30" | LL LR3050

The link is to the target I use. It comes in smaller sizes also. It collapses into 1/3 its size and stores in a bag. It has a crosshair on it to achieve autofocus because if it was smooth grey, there wouldn't be anything with contrast to lock focus on. After the initial shot, the model simply tosses it out of the scene and away we go!

For 90% of my shooting, I just leave the camera on auto w/b because I shoot RAW and correct in post.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back