Weather sealing

cbgold

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m new to DSLRs And trying to decide between a Nikon D 5600 or D 7500. I would like to shoot mostly outdoors. Obviously there is a large price difference. How important is the weather sealing on the D7500 and is it worth the extra cost? I don’t think I’ll be taking pictures in downpours But I will be in sandy Areas and outdoors in the winter. Thanks for your help.

Very important, as is the fact you'll also need the lens to be weather sealed

Welcome to the forum.

The D7500 is much better camera than the D5600. Build, weather sealing, AF, frame rate, ISO, buffer speed, more lenses capable of AF on it. If the D7500 is in your budget range, it is the camera to get.

Or get a used 7200 for the cost of a new 5600.

Used camera gear from a reputable online seller like Adorama or Cameta Camera or B&H can save you hundreds and really stretch your budget. Cameta gives a full year warranty on refurbished gear. The last refurb camera I bought from them (7100) had only 88 shutter count and was mint. When I shot Nikon, most of my gear was purchased used/refurb and never had a single issue.

Weather sealing is not the same as water proofing.
Even without weather sealing DSLR cameras can handle getting a bit wet with fresh water/rain.
If your DSLR were to get wet, even if it's weather sealed, you would want to dry it off as soon as possible.
Then put a cup or so of uncooked rice in a plastic bag, set the camera on top of the rice, seal the bag, and let it set for a couple of days
The rice will absorb any wet the drying off missed.

I'd definitely go with the D7500 or D7200 if you're going to be doing outdoor stuff a lot. When I had my D7000, I used that in the rain and never had a problem. I use my D610 in the rain and snow often and never had a problem. I mean, I woulden't use it in a proper heavy rain storm but you can buy rain sleeves and what not for that. But light-medium rain, it will be no problem. Just make sure the lens you are using has a gasket at the mount.

neither are terribly weather sealed. Only the D5 in the Nikon line are properly weather sealed.

I think it's worth saving money and buying a better version of the device at once. For the difference is not that big, but there is more opportunity.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back