Web site bio

Thanks Nimitz,

I do like 1st person better than 3rd...and that's why my first draft was written that way. I tried to write it as if I was just talking to someone or conversing on a forum like this. Of course with the intention of making people want to hire me.

However, after looking at several other photographer's sites...3rd person seems to be the prevailing standard. I guess the difference is that the web site is designed & written from a company's point of view (even if it's just a sole proprietorship) and the bio is about the photographer.

Thanks Nimitz,

I do like 1st person better than 3rd...and that's why my first draft was written that way. I tried to write it as if I was just talking to someone or conversing on a forum like this. Of course with the intention of making people want to hire me.

However, after looking at several other photographer's sites...3rd person seems to be the prevailing standard. I guess the difference is that the web site is designed & written from a company's point of view (even if it's just a sole proprietorship) and the bio is about the photographer.

Actually, we wrote all our first person drivel. Like stated above, it makes it a bit easier to brag on your accomplishes.

i prefer the 1st person, and with you mike, that would work best. if you do 3rd person, i think you should stick to that approach throughout the entire site and not just a portion of it.

i prefer the 1st person, and with you mike, that would work best. if you do 3rd person, i think you should stick to that approach throughout the entire site and not just a portion of it.

I think if you are talking about awards or orgs, you should use third so you don't sound like a bragger.
But I think a blog is great for showing your fun stuff and personailty.

It's clear that there are pros and cons to doing it either way. I think the 'bigger' the company, the more it fits to use 3rd person. And yes, talking about awards & accomplishments does sound better in 3r person.

I think for my application, for the time being...1st person is the way to go.

Maybe I'll post it up here for critique, when it's done...or maybe I'll just do what I think is best, and you can all see it when the site is done :er:

Anyway, thanks for all the input and advice.

Just don't do the whole

When I was 3 I picked up a camera and it was love at first sight and I never went back. I heart photography.

That drives me bonkers :lol: Tell us when you have your site up so we can all flock to it :)

I think both can be effective. Have you thought of incorporating both? Let's say you start out in the third person outlining your accomplishments, work history and intentions of future skills developments. Blah, blah, blah.

That will give the reader of what you've done and where you're going.

Then have a section that says "Hi, I'm Big Mike..........." You know, a bit of your personallity. I think that's your strong suit.

However, without a professional opening, the friendly approach on it's own is just a dog wagging it's tail. Cute.

I've got the site up and running. I created a flash menu, which gave me all sorts of headaches, but it seems to be working now.

The flash galleries may be a little slow for some people but it shouldn't be too bad.

Check it out and tell me what you think.

www.mikehodson.ca

Mike, can you smooth out the imperfections on the guy's fingernails on the first picture people see? :)

Great bio!! It makes me want to hire you!

A weird thing happens on your site. I don't see the "Portraits" or "Wedding" buttons until I move the mouse over that area and then they show up.

Your Gallery and Pricing buttons aren't working.

Make sure you have your location IN TEXT (not on an image) somewhere on your main page so the googlebots can snarf it up. ;)

Marian

A weird thing happens on your site. I don't see the "Portraits" or "Wedding" buttons until I move the mouse over that area and then they show up.
That's part of the fancy 'flash' menu that I built.

Your Gallery and Pricing buttons aren't working.
When you mouse over one of those, it brings up the 'weddings & portrait' buttons...which you then use to get to the appropriate page.

I've got the location in the meta data in the page...but it probably wouldn't hurt to have it on the page somewhere as well.

Thanks

Turn off the music,
sorry but when I get on a site and it is playing music, I do 2 things, first I look for a way to mute it. If I can't find that, I close it.

Remember people that are looking for a photographer look while they are at work. The last thing they want is music on the site to tell the boss "Look at me, I am not working"

As well if they do not like the music, they will leave.

just my 2 cents

Turn off the music,
sorry but when I get on a site and it is playing music, I do 2 things, first I look for a way to mute it. If I can't find that, I close it.

Remember people that are looking for a photographer look while they are at work. The last thing they want is music on the site to tell the boss "Look at me, I am not working"

As well if they do not like the music, they will leave.

just my 2 cents

Hahhahahahaha...I looked at it while at work and had to quickly hit the power button on my speakers! :blushing:

I thought about that...it's pretty generic, so I didn't think anyone would mind. I didn't choose that music, it is just the music that is the default for the flash galleries that I used.

Here's a questions though...if people don't like music on sites, or if they have to turn down the volume while at work...why do they have the sound on in the first place? Just to hear little sounds when an e-mail arrives? :scratch:

In my case I have systems that monitor things and differnt sounds mean diffent things, I need to be able to hear them in order to do my job.

I guess I look at it this way, I have come to see your photos, If they are good enough to stand on thier own (Which yours are) I don't need mood music to convince me you are a good photographer.

Music on websites should be reserved for Newbies and people that don't know better.

I like the first person bio.!! Also.. I like when photographers are light hearted... You can share your achievements but your pictures should speak for themself. A little bit about you by you wouldnt hurt. If your likable person.. Make sure your bio comes across that way. People want to hire someone that they feel comfortable with and your bio should be warm in fuzzy. Thats my opinion. OR thats what I looked for in a wedding photog. I didnt care what their achievements are or were. All I care to see is.. Will I feel comfortable with you in our session.

my 2 cents...

Most reactions

Back