Website music

Sirene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are the rules regarding uploading songs on your website, let's say you want a song from Madonna for your homepage of your site ?

Is that even possible, or you would need the permission from the singer (or label) and what about instrumentals (of Madonna's songs for example) is is the same deal ?

Thanks for your help !!

You would need to pay royalties to the record company or whoever holds the copyright for the music. It isn't cheap if you want to use something like a Madonna song.

There are many sources of 'Royalty Free' music, you just pay for it once (or sometimes get it free) and then you are free to use it as you wish.

Ok, thanks, that's what I thought
What about instrumentals though ?

Copyright is copyright. That would be like someone using one of your photos but trying to justify it by saying 'it's on a black & white version'.

It's probably more complicated than that. An instrumental version of a popular song is probably already having to pay royalties to the primary copyright holder...so I'm not sure who you would have to pay to use it.

Instrumental or not makes no difference. It is still Madonna's music unless she only wrote the lyrics. But the music still belongs to someone so, for all practical purposes, no difference.

The only thing that would make a difference is if you record your own version of the song. In this case, you do not pay royalties for the recording but you would still pay royalties for the song.

Thanks a lot guys and thanks Mike for the tip, you are always so helpful ;)

Most reactions

Back