Wedding Help

Stacey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm shooting my first wedding in a couple weeks & I'm looking for some suggestions! It's a private ceremony for some friends of mine and it will just be the B&G and each of their parents. It is going to be in a very small church and it is going to be VERY informal...they're wedding attire (EVERYONE'S WEDDING ATTIRE) is blue jeans and camo-print t-shirts & flip flops...And they are having their 2 dogs...a yellow lab & a yorkie in the ceremony as well...I was able to take a tour of the church today and I have some ideas of what I can do but there aren't very many..would anyone have any suggestions as to some neat things I can do besides the traditional photos?

Also, the reception will be a smidge dressier..(think business casual)...and she will be wearing a wedding gown (nothing incredibly dressy but a formal white dress) and he'll be wearing a nice shirt and slacks but I don't know what to do for that reception either. He hates pictures so I think I will just have to stalk him with the camera in hopes that I can catch some nice candids...They aren't doing speeches, first dances or anything like that so does anyone have any suggestions as to anything that I can do?

I'm so lost! My first wedding and it isn't a "traditional" wedding! :confused: Makes me SOO nervous! LOL! But they don't expect anything much as they know this is a bit out of my league but they know I like to "dabble" in photograpy so....I was their ideal photog!

Any suggestions would be SOOO wonderful! Thanks a bunch!!

I am very new to wedding photography, so some others may have some more valuable input, but I think you will really enjoy it.

For the ceremony I would probalby sit down and make a list of the shots you want to get, although during the ceremony most of these shots will come pretty natural to you. But try and invision the shots you want for example reaction shots of mom and dad during the ceremony, a close shot of the couple holding hands (the hands) at the alter, etc. You may check out some other wedding photographer's sites that you like to get a feel of the kinds of images you want. Like I said most shots will probably be instinctual, but you may want to keep the list handy in case you get nervous and fear that you are forgetting something. Try not to get in too big of a hurry, take time to compose your shots. If possible, don't be afraid to move around to get the shot you want. Just don't be so intrusive that you are a distraction to the ceremony. Sounds pretty laid back, so I would not think that would be an issue. Relax and have fun.

As for the recepiton, candids make the best shots anyway(in my opinion). Just keep your eyes open for those special shots. A hug, the couple exchanging glances, laughter. If it is indoors you'll probably be using a large aperture anyway, but if not I would try it and use the Dof to seperate your subject a bit from surroundings. If your going to use flash, I would either recommend off camera, or bounce(if possible). However you use it, try balancing it with your ambient light for more natural feel. And once again, have fun! Good luck.

I suggest you just document the events as they happen. It sounds like photography isn't high on their priority list, so just pretend you are a journalist and document what is happening. Use your own artistic creativity as you see fit.

No matter what they say, they will probably want some posed group shots or at least few shots of the two of them. Arrange them into a group and try to minimize anything distracting. They probably don't want this to take too long, so just keep it loose.

For the couple, rather than posing them you might just ask them to stand or walk in a certain location and interact with one another. Talk to each other, kiss etc. Then you can be there to capture it.

Most reactions

Back