Wedding - Krystal and Andy - The Series (Picture Heavy)

Thank you for your comments, everyone. Much appreciated!

Here is my CC man. If I dont say anything.. no comment. No sugar coating as always.

2. If I have to guess, she probably wont like the way she looks there. I would toss it.
3. Your best shot. This should go straight to your portfolio. Too bad it is not the bride... but for portfolio wise, people wont know.
4. Toss it, looks like someone is standing next to you and she is posing for that person
5. A lot better than 4. Maybe could use more processing
6. Meh, wish you can see the face(s)
7. Looks like a posed shot but unprepared.. i rather see more candid. It looks like it was unprepared and you said.. look over here. I rather they are not looking.
8. I understand you want to show the church, sometimes you want to wait until you can see the b&g. Seeing a wide shot of the church like that without seeing the B&G doesnt give you enough story telling. I would at least wait until b&g stands in the middle of the altar.
12 - 16. Shoot wider man! Seriously.. you can tell story better if you go wider. Besides.. dont you have D800? Plenty of MP to crop if you go tighter.
22. Wider! What is she looking at?
24. Too obvious that they are posing for someone and you take pics of the flower.. I say go tighter.
25. Antenna on his head. Too unplanned yet... doesnt feel candid.
27. Go a lot wider. Did you crop most of it? Does not look like a 24mm shot.
28. Meh... nothing is really going on
29. Meh... but if you can put reflection of the B&G there, would have been a portfolio shot. If you see an idea like this, come up to the B&G and say.. hey I have a really cool idea. Can you stand right here and kiss? You could have done the same shot and maybe point a flash toward the B&G.
30. Not sure why you put this shot here. I bet cha she hates her expression.
31. Screaming B&W. The B&G is cold, the background is yellow. Either gel your flash or just make it B&W. Would have been better if they were kissing or do other poses not looking at the camera. The bright stuff on the right is a little distracting.
32. Very unplanned with the framing. Pedestrian on the left. Either get a better framing with whole body shot, or go really close with long focal length and show the bokeh circles!

Wow! Compelling feedback, thank you! Some responses/questions, if you don't mind...

2. She is a tough one. On many of her pics she has one eye open and one eye closed. I think she has some sort of physical thing going on, but you may well be right.
3. Thanks... yeah, I knew it was "the shot" when I got it and was groaning that it wasn't the bride.
4. Yes. I have a lot of shots like this because I'm just the second shooter. This one was the "least" obvious that she was looking at the other photographer (of this kind of shot, anyway)
5. Yeah, I like that one. Can I ask what you found lacking in the PP?
6. I have another with them looking at me, but it looks kinda odd.
7. Yes, I see what you're saying. I'm almost never the one posing them. :(
8. *whacks head* This was my first wedding in a while. I usually get a shot like this, but I kinda spaced on it because the primary had me positioned for detail shots of the folks in question, and usually he's in that position. Good call, thank you.
12-16. Really? That surprises me. I was always thinking you want closer... more emotional... more connected. No? I'm going to need to spend some more time browsing other wedding photographer's sites. Maybe I should try to get some of each? Yes, I'm on the D800 here.
22. Again, surprised by this one.. I thought this one was really good. I do have more in the original I can show, but it doesn't say much about the scene, IMO. I'll go look again.
24. Ok, I'll play with it.
25. OMFG I missed the antennae. :lol: I'm not seeing what you're seeing with it being too unplanned, and yet not candid. Would you mind telling me what looks unplanned?
27. No, actually... I didn't crop much. Maybe about 10-15% to account for the perspective correction I did, but that's it.
29. Didn't even occur to me. Really good idea. Thanks.
30. Probably wouldn't have made my second cut. I was anxious to put some images up and honestly I think a few of these I wouldn't have put up after I had a good night's sleep. :)
31. Yeah, I considered it but eventually decided not to- but was totally on the fence and I agree with you. A few of these I realized the colors were making a mess of things and when I stripped them it became a much better shot. New experience for me with such odd lighting situations.
32. The damned pedestrians would NOT get out of the damned way. :lol:

Thank you, sir. REALLY appreciate the feedback. I have a lot to learn here.

I actually agree with a majority of Robin's critique.

3 is by far the standout. I kept scrolling and was wondering if the others were taken by the same photographer.

The part I disagree with is 12-16. IMO, definitely not too tight. Especially, as a second shooter knowing the main had a different angle. It was 13 that once again peaked my interest. IMO, your second best of the set. 16 the third. I pick 13 and 16 because I know how difficult it is to get that tight on that shot, and not have somebody blocking you. I also think the Dad will love 13 and the B&G will love 16.

After that, for me, it gets a bit 'meh' until 27. You balanced the room and outdoors very well. The only thing missing is about 3 seconds later. Would have been a standout shot if it the B&G were both seated or if it was during the toasts. With the Bride walking towards her table, it just falls in that 'oh, so close' category.

Overall, I would say there is a great one, some really good ones, and some that were just off a bit on timing. Most likely because you didn't want to offer an opinion to the Main or try to dictate the shoot.

IMO, when you take a shot like 27, go chimp it to the main, and give him your idea. He'll arrange it, or hand you the reins and let you set it up, or he may give you a reason why he doesn't want to...but I would at least try. A shot like that with the B&G seated and either kissing or toasting would be incredible.

See my responses in red.

Wow! Compelling feedback, thank you! Some responses/questions, if you don't mind...

2. She is a tough one. On many of her pics she has one eye open and one eye closed. I think she has some sort of physical thing going on, but you may well be right.
3. Thanks... yeah, I knew it was "the shot" when I got it and was groaning that it wasn't the bride.
4. Yes. I have a lot of shots like this because I'm just the second shooter. This one was the "least" obvious that she was looking at the other photographer (of this kind of shot, anyway
If you are standing right next to the main shooter, I would not bother shooting unless the main shooter asked the couple to look away, look down, or look each other. This particular sample, the main shooter was next to me using his 50L, I went behind him and a little to the right using 135L. When the couple are not looking at the camera shoot away even if you are close to the main photographer.
p938885885-4.jpg

This next sample the bride is looking at the main shooter. If you are next to the main shooter, dont bother shooting.. seriously.. your photo wont be portfolio worthy and more than likely it wont be used by the main shooter. Go from completely different angle. Yeah, it does look like she is posing for someone but not as much right? It may look like I am posing her and directed her to look away?

p967381044-4.jpg

5. Yeah, I like that one. Can I ask what you found lacking in the PP?
I think you can bring up the exposure until her bright skin is almost blown.
6. I have another with them looking at me, but it looks kinda odd.
7. Yes, I see what you're saying. I'm almost never the one posing them.
Holding a cell phone... you know what i mean. A posed shot would show the car at a good angle.
8. *whacks head* This was my first wedding in a while. I usually get a shot like this, but I kinda spaced on it because the primary had me positioned for detail shots of the folks in question, and usually he's in that position. Good call, thank you.
12-16. Really? That surprises me. I was always thinking you want closer... more emotional... more connected. No? I'm going to need to spend some more time browsing other wedding photographer's sites. Maybe I should try to get some of each? Yes, I'm on the D800 here. There is a reason why 35mm lens is popular among wedding photographers. Check out famous PJ shooters, most of them shot wide. The ones where they shoot tight is when the subject has emotional expression. Unfortunately your shots the expression was not there. Wider shot will tell better story.
22. Again, surprised by this one.. I thought this one was really good. I do have more in the original I can show, but it doesn't say much about the scene, IMO. I'll go look again.
I rather see the people on the left looking at how cute the girl is.
24. Ok, I'll play with it.
25. OMFG I missed the antennae. :lol: I'm not seeing what you're seeing with it being too unplanned, and yet not candid. Would you mind telling me what looks unplanned?
27. No, actually... I didn't crop much. Maybe about 10-15% to account for the perspective correction I did, but that's it.
29. Didn't even occur to me. Really good idea. Thanks.
30. Probably wouldn't have made my second cut. I was anxious to put some images up and honestly I think a few of these I wouldn't have put up after I had a good night's sleep. :)
31. Yeah, I considered it but eventually decided not to- but was totally on the fence and I agree with you. A few of these I realized the colors were making a mess of things and when I stripped them it became a much better shot. New experience for me with such odd lighting situations.
32. The damned pedestrians would NOT get out of the damned way. :lol:

Thank you, sir. REALLY appreciate the feedback. I have a lot to learn here.

Also on #24. I have a feeling this is during the formal with the family. What I usually do around this time is either:
1. dont bother shooting, help your main photographer gather and pose people! Seriously... Besides, you almost never get a "portfolio" shot during this time.
2. pose people that are still waiting to get a picture with the main photog... grab the flower girl, bridesmaids, or groomsmen.

My point is, dont bother shooting the group shots posed by the main. Besides, you may mess up the shots because people will be looking at 2 different cameras.. makes sense?

Great series of photographs, I think you are a brilliant photographer excellent lighting and outstanding capture.

Great additional comments, guys! I will read them in earnest (and respond) this evening when I get some "free" (ha!) time. :)

Most reactions

Back