Wedding lens

Lee_Maryland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was asked to help out during a wedding event, and I will shoot as back up with my D90. If I would to pick up a lens for this event, what do you guys think I should get? So far, I have a 50mm 1.4 and the kite lens. The wedding is going to be outdoor, and with 250-300 guests.

The lenses of choice for weddings are the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8. If I had to have only one of those I'd go with the 24-70 f/2.8.
If that's going to give you sticker shock Tamron makes a 28-75 f/2.8 that is superb for around $500 somewhere, although I'd prefer the Nikon first and foremost.

The lenses of choice for weddings are the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8. If I had to have only one of those I'd go with the 24-70 f/2.8.
If that's going to give you sticker shock Tamron makes a 28-75 f/2.8 that is superb for around $500 somewhere, although I'd prefer the Nikon first and foremost.

MLeeK couldn't have said it better! The 24-70 f2.8 is very versatile. Now, I know the Nikon 24-70 is a little more than what us Canon guys will pay, but its worth it. I currently own the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, and its wonderful. Not as good build quality as the Nikon or Canon of course, but the image quality is great, especially if you need the lens now. Its $400-$500 depending on where you buy it from. Good luck!

personally I would just shoot with the 2 lenses you have.

This is an excellent opportunity/excuse to buy both the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8, and I promise you'll LOVE them!

This is an excellent opportunity/excuse to buy both the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8, and I promise you'll LOVE them!

Haha, probably I will buy the 24-70. And next year when I get my tax return back I will get the 70-200.

MLeeK couldn't have said it better! The 24-70 f2.8 is very versatile. Now, I know the Nikon 24-70 is a little more than what us Canon guys will pay, but its worth it. I currently own the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, and its wonderful. Not as good build quality as the Nikon or Canon of course, but the image quality is great, especially if you need the lens now. Its $400-$500 depending on where you buy it from. Good luck!

Why do you prefer a shorter focus lense? care to explain?

Outdoors you could use any number of lenses. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8~4 AF-D, 18-105, whatever you like. If you shoot with a prime lens, then all the pictures look very similar, since it forces you to shoot "its way". A 70-200 keeps you far back from the action with a 1.5x body.

Well you can do fine with the 50 and unless you plan on doing this more often and or upgrading to FX it might not be cost effective to spend big bucks and Schwetty's comment is probably good advice. ;)

because most of the time you can walk closer to the subject.

Stick w/ what you have, especially since its outdoors.
You're a back up, as you say, you're shots are secondary: parents smiling during the ceremony, flowers, people laughing, etc etc. For what you need, you're gear is sufficient. If anything, pick up a flash, rather then a lens.

I need a flash to shoot wedding outdoor? I mean I can see myself using it indoor, but under what circumstance would I need to pop out the flash?
sorry, this might sound like a stuipd question.

I need a flash to shoot wedding outdoor? I mean I can see myself using it indoor, but under what circumstance would I need to pop out the flash?
sorry, this might sound like a stuipd question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back