Wedding Macro?

woodsac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.around395.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love some of the creative ring shots I see. Cindy, you have a couple of beautiful examples. Is anyone here actually taking the time to shoot these with a macro? Or are you just getting as close as you can with something like the 70-200 and cropping?

I'm asking, because most of them have a very shallow dof. The bokeh looks too natural to be post? If you are doing these with a macro...when? After the ceremony?

And when do you ask them to remove their rings? I've done a few now that didn't want to remove their rings. They just wanted the traditional hand over hand type shot with their rings on. If that's what they want, I respect that. But I think they'd like the more creative shots too.

I've heard this discussed somewhere before. The problem being that they don't want to take the rings off but you want to shoot the rings and not their hands.

I think the solution is to ask them before and show them a shot like you have in mind. Then they get it...and there shouldn't be a problem. They might still say no, but then at least you know.

I have heard of several photographers who do take along a macro, for just this reason...but there are several lenses that can get pretty close...or close enough to crop.

I don't have a macro lens but I do have a set of Hoya close up filters, which I do bring along for shooting details etc. Typically, I like to get some nice close ups of the flowers, if I'm shooting the bridal prep.

I've heard this discussed somewhere before. The problem being that they don't want to take the rings off but you want to shoot the rings and not their hands.

I think the solution is to ask them before and show them a shot like you have in mind. Then they get it...and there shouldn't be a problem. They might still say no, but then at least you know.

I have heard of several photographers who do take along a macro, for just this reason...but there are several lenses that can get pretty close...or close enough to crop.

I don't have a macro lens but I do have a set of Hoya close up filters, which I do bring along for shooting details etc. Typically, I like to get some nice close ups of the flowers, if I'm shooting the bridal prep.
Good tip Mike, thanks! When I bought my first macro lens, I buried my Hoya filters. Naturally, they aren't as sharp as either of my macros, but they still do the job nicely. Especially for this type of subject matter. And I wouldn't have to lug around an extra couple pound lens :)

I recently started doing these kinds of things with my Sigma 105mm macro. I've attached one I did two weeks ago. I used to do as you mentioned, shooting and cropping, but you get such better results this way.

anw10.jpg

I think it's worth it to take the time out to get these. When I shot this one they were getting ready.

Thanks Scott. Nice shot :)

I have the Sigma 105 and 150. I guess I could just put the 105 on the spare body since it doesn't weigh as much. But that's the info I was looking for.

When shooting the groom and groomsmen, you could ask for it then and shoot before the wedding ceremony? I use the 100 f2.8 macro

I do not think I have ever had a wedding where the B+G refused to remove their ring. That being said if they do not want to remove their rings even after explaining to them what you are trying to do they deserve the result they get I'm not saying you can't get a good picture of the rings while they are on the fingers posed over flowers or the cake. I currently do not have a macro lens and have shot the rings with what I di have but I do not think it would be too much of a burden to carry a macro lens for just the ring shots and in the future I plan to do just that.

I could see why the couple wouldn't want to remove the rings after the wedding but you wouldn't think they'd have as much of a problem with it before the wedding. You might even have better luck doing it far in advance, such as when you take the engagement photos or during a meeting with the B&G to decide what photos they want taken at the wedding, etc.

If you want to try macro just to see if you like the results, I've had good luck just flipping my lense around. You can just hold it there or they sell lense reversal rings that you can get for a lot less than a macro lense.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm not interested in doing just the brides ring, I want the b+g rings together. The reason I want them after the ceremony, is because I want to use available "props" from the reception.

Thanks Wolff. I've got a little macro experience under my belt :) (way more than weddings :lol: )

:) Very funny. I know, I've visited your website (very nice stuff btw). My comment was meant to be more general since there seemed to be others who are interested in macro wedding shots but don't have the equipment.

Thanks Wolff :)
And I appreciate the suggestion. It's good advice for someone that doesn't own a macro. Best part is...it's an inexpensive solution if it's your only option ;)

Another thing we do is just ask them for the rings while they're eating. That keeps you busy too while everyone's stuffing their faces.

<edit>I checked out your site.....no wonder you want to get that macro involved in your wedding images....you've got some seriously good images over there!</edit>

Thanks Scott, good idea :)

And thanks to you too, Cindy. I didn't even think about extension tubes...I have those too :D

Thanks for all the advice and tips everyone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back