Wedding Photography...JPG/RAW.

I shoot RAW+ JPG and use the jpg's solely for workflow/previewing purposes. I find it helps me eliminate importing pictures that I would delete later on for being unusable or duplicates. That's the ONLY reason I use RAW + JPG and in shooting situations where memory capacity is an issue (like I forgot a memory card at home in the laptop!), I just switch over to RAW only.

My advice for someone who is not used to dealing with RAW files, get used to it. It's not a huge leap to make but it is an important one that allows you so much more flexibility with your photos and correcting shooting mistakes. Especially if you're shooting a first time wedding, you need all the help that you can get. Memory is cheap, mistakes that you can't recover from because you didn't shoot in RAW are NOT.

your camera is capable of shooting raw, why dont you shoot raw! i dont see whats the bing deal about post proccesing raw files,

I have shot raw before. I have PPd my own raw files before. Most of the photos I have posted on here have been from RAW files. I just didnt know if there was a major advantage. Ive alwyas just shot to get the best photos I can, then edit them individually once I get home, as Im sure most of you do. It was mostly just out of curiosity, honestly. Thanks alot everyone. RAW it is. Now...back to research. ;)

Mark

This thread is not about if one needs to shoot raw or jpeg during wedding.
This is not what OP is asking. Some of you guys are losing the point...

I think you must shoot this wedding. It's good to you. You get experience of wedding shoot. Enjoyed the shoot.

Thank you everyone so much for all your advice. The wedding is behind us now and shooting RAW really did help alot with PP. I have only been through 50 of the 600+ photos, but I took the liberty of editing a copy for me (dont worry, the bride and groom already know. Theyre part of the distant family and I already asked them). I will start their own thread and post a link on here.

Again, thanks so much. :)
Mark

Most reactions

Back