Wedding Photography Tips/Advice

Yzerwing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello fellow lens heads,

I was recently asked to shoot a friend's wedding; they are strapped for cash and this will be a freebee. I am calling it their wedding present. They are nor real demanding in what they want but I still want to do a nice job. I have never shot a wedding before and am looking for tips and advice on the types of shots to make. What sorts of lighting situations to look for.

This will be largely an outdoor ceremony weather permitting. The indoor building is rustic dark wood for interior. The outdoor area is a large park they rented this area for a private ceremony.

I have shot family portraits and senior portraits and anniversary portraits in both indoor and outdoor venues. These ventures turned out quite well.

Given my inexperience with weddings any advice is appreciated. I guess I simply don't know what to expect.

Thank you to anyone with advice or insite.

I would suggest putting a list together of the key photos that a bride would want. I think I saw a list once somewhere of typical shots that are taken at a wedding. Maybe then search Flickr for some examples of those shots to help you get some creative ideas.

I would highly encourage you to talk with the bride and whoever is preforming the wedding. Figure out what she wants and where you can and can't stand. Some places such as churches have some pretty strict requirements of what a photographer can and can't do/ stand, etc.

I've done quite a few weddings...it's my bread and butter. I can tell you that every situation is different, and come, perhaps over-prepared. Bring things that you may not even think you'll need...spare batteries, spare cards, extra lenses...tripod...monopod, if you have one (I usually shoot on a monopod for weddings). Lighting will be a key, especially if you end up shooting inside. A good flash and perhaps a modifier on it like a softbox or diffuser are good to have if the venue allows them. Also, be aware of EVERYONE ELSE with a camera shooting with flash. Nothing ruins a good photo worse than trying to take it with a bunch of flashes going off at the same time!

Do your best and by all means, follow your instincts.

It's very nice you're owing to help out. Some images are much better than none BUT that said, I'd try my best to convince them to shell out for an experienced wedding shooter. ...not like there's a second chance hmm?

Most reactions

Back