wedding photography... what do you recommend

ognistik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So it happened that a distant relative - a relative I've ever met, though - saw some of my photos online. Since she's engaged and getting married in a few months, se asked me if I'm willing to take some photos of her and her future husband... and of course, they will pay me.

Now... the thing is that even though I like photography, even though I own an SLR and a dSLR plus some lenses, I've never had a formal photoshoot. Never. Most of my photography up till now has been art, couple of portraits, some street photography... I have no light equipment or similar stuff. So I am quite unsure of how this will come out, but I think it's a good chance. I am thinking about taking the challenge and telling her before that I have no previous experience with this... however, I know some of you guys do.

what would you recommend, links online to learn about wedding photography. About the posing, scenario, etc. Perhaps some useful techniques for this kind of photography, I don't know. Anything that can help me in this quest

* edit * ok... it's an Engagement Session, sorry guys, seems that I confused you all lol, but thanks for the feedback

So will you be doing an engagement session, or pics at the wedding?

engagement session

No offense but I say do the right thing and find them a decent PROFESSIONAL wedding photographer. If you have no experience and no gear I say you run a real risk of really messing this ting up. Wedding photography is not an easy thing to do and if you are the number one guy you have alot of weight on your shoulders. If they are close you run the risk of causing a real rift and if you are not you run the risk of a very real lawsuit for chariging them and therfore representing yourself as a professional.

of course I will not present myself as a professional. I mean, the same stuff I posted here is what I will tell them.

It's them the ones that will be willing to take the risk or not ... and of course I know we are talking about a wedding (actually, engagement session) and not just a simple non-important thing... but well, if they decide to go with it, I just want to do my best

You have to start somewhere. First be upfront with them and let them know. If they still are interested rent some lighting equipment, and do a mock engagement and/or wedding with some friends and get in some practice before hand. I am sure those who do wedding photography will disagree with me but I say tell them and give it a whirl, as long as they are aware they know what to expect. I would never do a wedding, just of no interest to me in any manner except the one where I married my wife lol. Although she may not be as thrilled as me about it lmaoo.

No offense but I say do the right thing and find them a decent PROFESSIONAL wedding photographer. If you have no experience and no gear I say you run a real risk of really messing this ting up. Wedding photography is not an easy thing to do and if you are the number one guy you have alot of weight on your shoulders. If they are close you run the risk of causing a real rift and if you are not you run the risk of a very real lawsuit for chariging them and therfore representing yourself as a professional.

I think if they searched him out and asked him, there is no problem. As long as he tells them he doesn't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing like he already said he was going to do. I think you're reading way to deep into this from my opinion...causing a rift, lawsuits and stuff? That sounds crazy. It's his relative, and she asked him.

Maybe email some local wedding photographers and see if you can carry their bag and tag along for a gig or two. It's actually a pretty simple process, and most pro's are happy to give plenty of advice and obviously enjoy having a caddy.

One thing that I can recommend... is search the net for photo forums that discuss wedding photography. The result will be that you will be more than eager to tell them that you are not interested in being their main photographer, trust me. There are a million things that one needs as a wedding 'Tog as well as experience to know how to get the best results. There are NO second chances and this is a once in a lifetime event. They deserve the best.

I've done 3 weddings for friends to date as an amateur (and secondary "main" person with a camera at their event), and in all weddings there was a professional there to do the job right, thanks to my very strong recommendation for them to do that.

The nice thing is that after three times now, the vast gap between the pro and myself is starting to get closer... but only closer. I certainly would NOT compare myself to a pro under ANY cirtumstance. I figure I am about $7000 and several years short of getting the results they are getting today (and thats with several thousand dollars of equipment in my bag already!).

You're doing the engagement session, which isn't nearly as high stress as the wedding itself. If you don't like something with the engagement shots, you could reschedule...I wouldn't sweat it. If you don't have lighting equipment, I'd try to do some outside natural light shots.

I think you're reading way to deep into this from my opinion...causing a rift, lawsuits and stuff? That sounds crazy. It's his relative, and she asked him.

Though in some cases, I would agree... it sadly comes true a lot more often that you would believe.

The hardest thing and MOST important thing is setting expectations. If they are expecting results equal to all your past best pictures, and for some reason you fall on your butt photographically speaking... people get pissed real fast.

Sadly enough its not the B&G that most often start legal action, but the parents of the B&G. Ever hear of BrideZillas? Well, now there are ParentZillas too!

Though in some cases, I would agree... it sadly comes true a lot more often that you would believe.

The hardest thing and MOST important thing is setting expectations. If they are expecting results equal to all your past best pictures, and for some reason you fall on your butt photographically speaking... people get pissed real fast.

Sadly enough its not the B&G that most often start legal action, but the parents of the B&G. Ever hear of BrideZillas? Well, now there are ParentZillas too!

LOL...yea, I'm sure there are...especially with Americans' ridiculous obsession with having the most elaborate and expensive wedding possible.

But...the OP stated a couple times that he isn't going to be shooting the wedding, just the engagement session. I don't think that would be as significant as the wedding.

I don't think that would be as significant as the wedding.

That depends on who you ask. For the OP it may not be... but did he ask the parents of the B&G? See what I mean?

Its a quagmire of issues that are easily avoided if the expectations are set from square 1... but how many times do budding 'Togs do this? Pros fall into this trap all the time... how much chance does someone with limited experience have?

I used to live in Dallas Texas. The funniest lawsuit I ever saw run to completion in real life was when 2 people crossed at the interestion and one gave the other a "dirty look". That dirty look cost the giver $250,000, the price for public deformation of character... lol.

All I am saying is... no matter what you doo... C-Y-A. In this case, set expectations with all pertinent parties before the first picture is taken.

engagement session

Hi there! Engagement sessions are lots of fun! Next to nothing like a wedding. (only thing close is if they want a formal portrait done for the invitation).

Go here and view the video (you may have to register but it's free if you do) and you can see how much fun you could have- especially if you are into 'Art' photography...

http://photoartsforum.com/empty-t151.0.html

enjoy

mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back