Wedding Pose Help

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'll be shooting a wedding of an elderly couple soon, and I'm somewhat at a loss on appropriate poses. Both are a little unsteady and require a cane to walk, so gymnastics are out. LOL At the same time I don't want them looking like American Gothic either. Anyone have any suggestions?

My favorite for this (the senior set makes up the majority of my client-base) is to use a chair. Whoever is most unsteady sits down, the other stands behind/beside, using the chair for support if necessary. If they're strong enough, you can add a greater degree of intimacy by having the standing person place a hand on the shoulder of the seated on, and the seated person reach back and clasp it.

@tirediron I like that idea.

FYI: You'll like this, the man is soft spoken, very unassuming. You wouldn't know it if you saw him on the street but he is a Vet with years of service, first in the Navy then in the Army. Combat disabled with a chest full of medals including a Purple Heart. When injuries prevented him serving, he volunteered as a suicide counselor with the DAV, eventually rising to become a trainer for other counselors. In his spare time he went back to school to become an ordained minister, became fluent in sign language serving across the country as an interpreter for various government agencies and running a ministry for the disabled. Up until last year he taught self defense classes around the country for disabled people. The number of ways the "old man" can hurt you with his cane is scary.

I'm hoping he'll also consent to sit for a portrait in uniform.

@tirediron I like that idea.

FYI: You'll like this, the man is soft spoken, very unassuming. You wouldn't know it if you saw him on the street but he is a Vet with years of service, first in the Navy then in the Army. Combat disabled with a chest full of medals including a Purple Heart. When injuries prevented him serving, he volunteered as a suicide counselor with the DAV, eventually rising to become a trainer for other counselors. In his spare time he went back to school to become an ordained minister, became fluent in sign language serving across the country as an interpreter for various government agencies and running a ministry for the disabled. Up until last year he taught self defense classes around the country for disabled people. The number of ways the "old man" can hurt you with his cane is scary.

I'm hoping he'll also consent to sit for a portrait in uniform.
Very cool - I hope so too; I'm looking forward to see it.

Bump! Have a good list going, but could always use more suggestions

back to back, James Bond 007 style???

back to back, James Bond 007 style???

Unfortunately, they're both a little bent with age. Putting them back to back would be more like butt to butt, and forcing them straight might result in a trip to the hospital :aiwebs_016: though he's such a cutup he'd be willing to try.

Depending on the furniture, you could try both sitting. Just please do not pose the lady with her knees toward the camera (unless her dress is ankle-length).

Depending on the furniture, you could try both sitting. Just please do not pose the lady with her knees toward the camera (unless her dress is ankle-length).

Yup that could be an issue. LOL Have in my shot list some at an outside picknick table.

A picnic table? You know, I had a stroke and walk with a cane; swinging one leg over to try to sit at a picnic table isn't happening! I don't know if they could even just sit on the bench with the table behind them (I can't get up from a bench/couch much less a picnic table but of course don't know about them).

Depends too outdoors how difficult that may be if it's on the grass/ground instead of on pavement. I'm fine on flat surfaces but bumpy ground? not so much and it doesn't take much to throw me off. With canes and unsteadiness I don't know how well they can walk on uneven surfaces.

John's suggestions sound good, or as also suggested maybe both seated. The fewer poses the better. Keep it a short list. I don't know how long they can last or what they can/can't do. Ask them.

A picnic table? You know, I had a stroke and walk with a cane; swinging one leg over to try to sit at a picnic table isn't happening! I don't know if they could even just sit on the bench with the table behind them (I can't get up from a bench/couch much less a picnic table but of course don't know about them).

I didn't know that, hope you are on a speedy recovery. One of my good friends had a bad stroke about 3 years ago, spent a little over 3 months in an intensive rehab center and is just now back to the point that he feels comfortable without the cane.

The table is one of those concrete monsters with benches on each side, in a level outside area. So I think they'll be able to sit back toward table without a problem. If not, we'll move on.

Despite their age and disabilities, they still get around really well. Both drive and remain very active. He's the one I worry about as he is undergoing both radiation and chemo for cancer. His energy level is all over the scale, one day he could challenge me to keep up, and the next I'm scared I might have to start CPR. Will have to wait and see on how he is that day as to number of shots.

@vintagesnaps, Sharon I didn't know you had a stroke. As smoke posted, speedy recovery.

I saw wedding photos recently on a private FB group page. The couple were in their 80's. The photos were outside ceremony and the shots were of the two standing at a small table during the ceremony. There were close up shots of holding hands with the bouquet, gently hugging with the bouquet over his shoulder and close up of them from the shoulder up smiling at each other. Now my MIL never wanted her hands photographed so I am not sure if the bride would want her hands in the shot. Overall the shots on the FB group of the couple were more with a traditional type posing. Check Pinterest for ideas and make a board to show the couple to get a feel for what they would want.

Wedding decoration helps to complete and make wedding photography memorable. A professional wedding photographer can shot perfect photographs of the couples with every possible pose.

Most reactions

Back