Wedding Pricing

JLBA14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey camera people!

So i realllyyy would like some realistic thoughts on Charging someone for a wedding. This is my FIRST wedding. it is for a co worker who is getting married, and just asked me, cuz he knew i was into photography.

ill list some things that might help determine a price. im a shy person and i Hate to ask for a price. cuz im afraid i might say something too high. ( even if i think its low )

Iv been learning about photogrpahy for about 4 years now.
I use a Canon T2i / Canon 50D
Its a small wedding he said about 20-30 people
I will be shooting for around 1 hour and a half, outside. just getting them coming out of the car walking down the isle, vows maybe a speech. and then a few family shots.
I Will be editing the photos
Will NOT be making albums or prints
I Will hand in raw and finished photos onto a flash drive / CD

would it be better for him to look at the shots after im done and have him decide on what he thinks of them?

Thanks guys! Annd any shooting tips?! :)

heres a place i just showcase some of my photography
http://joelbastianphotography.tumblr.com/

Since it's your first wedding, why not do it free of charge? You said you aren't doing any PP, so it's only a couple hours of your time. You can get the experience and the photos to add to your portfolio.

hmm u are right i guess, he did want to offer me something. Maybe something under 100$ that way we both are happy. Btw Ill be shooting in Raw, what would be the best to save my photos as once i give him the finished photos? would JPEG be okay? i mean for printing u want something with a little more quality right. TIFF?, and thank you ! : )

I wouldn't charge anything for this. I have recently done 2 weddings as a second shooter, the first one was 12 hours, and the second one was 10 hours... I did them both for free, and would happily help the photographer out again for free because of the great experience.

You'll do fine. $100 and a free meal. Done deal.

p!nK

I would charge, why not if he offer it? It's not like you're charging professional rates and your photos aren't bad. If you're confident that you'll get good shots, it doesn't hurt to charge $100, or $200. That money can go toward lens rental or some gears rental. You are going to be working and editing. You will also gain experience and later on can be more familiar with pricing.

Last edited:
Do it for free, then if the photos don't turn out as well as you hope, he doesn't feel taken. If afterwards he offers some money and is happy, then accept the cash.

Either charge $1500+ or nothing, as soon as you take $$ you are changing expectations--if u are confident you can deliver pro quality results then charge a real pro rate, if not, do it for free.$100 isn't even close to worth the liability to civil suit you are risking.

Hey camera people!

So i realllyyy would like some realistic thoughts on Charging someone for a wedding. This is my FIRST wedding. it is for a co worker who is getting married, and just asked me, cuz he knew i was into photography.

ill list some things that might help determine a price. im a shy person and i Hate to ask for a price. cuz im afraid i might say something too high. ( even if i think its low )

I will be shooting for around 1 hour and a half, outside. just getting them coming out of the car walking down the isle, vows maybe a speech. and then a few family shots.

would it be better for him to look at the shots after im done and have him decide on what he thinks of them?

Jb|photography
Inconsistant or no punctuation, inconsistant use of the shift key, reflects poorly on you, and likely also shows up in your photography and other business dealings.

Take note. Yours are the only posts in this thread that are that way.

Hey camera people!

Jb|photography
Inconsistant or no punctuation, inconsistant use of the shift key, reflects poorly on you, and likely also shows up in your photography and other business dealings.

Take note. Yours are the only posts in this thread that are that way.

uhh okay... didnt see that coming. Im sorry. I dont know what the average age of people are on this forum like 40's? im just an 19 year old like any other these days, who just types without care when it comes to IM'ing or on other social networking sites. When it comes to doing something that id think is more important. Then ill take the time to do things right.. and nothing has effected my photogrpahy

That was a rude comment!! I type and spell like crap but I can take some damn good pictures!! Good for you kid:) I think you'll do fine at this wedding shoot. We all have to start some place. I would give them a few price options to puck from. My first wedding I told them I would charge $300 for 4 hours or $500 for the whole wedding. Getting ready through last dance. I've just gone from there.

That was a rude comment!! I type and spell like crap but I can take some damn good pictures!! Good for you kid:) I think you'll do fine at this wedding shoot. We all have to start some place. I would give them a few price options to puck from. My first wedding I told them I would charge $300 for 4 hours or $500 for the whole wedding. Getting ready through last dance. I've just gone from there.

Thanks man! :)

i was told by a photographer that i bought my first gear from that if im asked to take photos, never do it for free. even if its just compensation for your travel.. i.e. gas money. which in this case, that is all i would ask. ive shot a couple weddings but even now i would never charge for it other than gas to get there because its the experience that will be better payment for you than anything else. and its just respectful imo for someone that does not have experience shooting weddings.

Ive done a couple low key weddings, and im not a wedding photographer at all, So ive done it initially for free, and if they were impressed with the photos and really wanted to offer me somthing only then would I accept the money (only a couple hundred too)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back