Wedding Settings

RJMcCarl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am hoping that this is the spot I should post this... I have been photographing for about 9 years just on my own but decided this past year to go ahead and start my own business and this past minth I was hired to do my first wedding and while I thought it would be similar to my portrait photos I soon realized once I was there and then looked at my photos that many of them from the dimly lit reception was blurry and while I was able to find enough that looked alright to satisfy the customer I myself was not very happy and need to get a setting figured out before I schedule myself for another wedding.
I use a Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR and also use a Panasonic Slave Flash although I never use that slave flash because it always turns out to bright and completely washes out the photo. I was wondering what is the best setting to use while I am in a dimly lit(candle lit) indoor room for a wedding that will make the photos like the first dance or walking down the aisle photos turn out with out have blur. Thanks@

The problem is at 1.4 you would have very shallow depth of field and it might be hard to get the focus perfect. You will likely have to crank up the ISO a bit, and use a Shutter speed that will not allow motion blur, and aperature that will get you the required DOF.. Try using a monopod during the reception to help reduce your camera shake.. this will let you use a bit of a slower shutter speed.

Not that it can't be done but you're gear isn't really up to par with industry standards and no doubt makes getting great shots more difficult ;)

*official moderators note - as hot as wedding topics can be fighting/insults will not be tolerated so keep a civil tongue when replying*

*taking off the mod hat now*

My advice is that you really need to step back and review your choices here. You are clearly realising that your method and your equipment isn't really working in a wedding situation and you seriously cannot be considering taking on further wedding photography jobs whilst you are not in a prepared position. Not only is it unethical to charge for professional services that you can't deliver, but it can also end your business before you get started should the bride and groom sue for a lack of professional services.

Furthermore the fact that you can't easily work out where you are going wrong, ie what settings to adjust and change, gives me a bigger warning sign that you've not yet fully learnt the aperture, ISO, shutter speed relationship nor really explored lighting (not just flash I mean reading and controlling both natural and flash lighting).

In all I think you've put the cart before the horse and really need to take a step back and review both your experiences and learning and also the equipment you are using. The finepix series, good as they are, are really not well suited to the challenging lighting conditions of a wedding environment and you should seriously be considering upgrading to a more professional DSLR based setup - which not only affords you a base line better quality, but better capabilities, features and also the ability to work in much more challenging lighting conditions.

If you want to remain working in the photography field I'd strongly suggest considering a mentorship/internship program and working in/under an existing studio/photographer in the fields you are interested in. That lets you get the ground experience that you are finding that you need, but without both putting yourself at risk and also without delivering substandard results to the clients (since the main pro photographer will be able to deliver the needed work). It gives you a learning environment where you can make mistakes without hurting your clients and without risking your professional name.

It must have been a shock for the Bride and Groom when you turned up with that camera, bit like trying to knock a 6" nail in with a toffee hammer

I would suggest a book for those, like you, who are beginning photography..."Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Good luck with your business.

when i go to shoot a wedding i bring 4 lenses 3 flashes 2 bodies and a partner with the same so im covered on all sides and the bride will have great shots? what is your back up plan?

Most reactions

Back