Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
this has got to be a troll.
I can't understand how you are a supporting member.. Do you ever support members?

I don't think it is sensible or useful to support every 'dream'.
Someone who has no idea how much to charge for a wedding, hasn't shown the interest to read the many similar posts here and learn from them, probably doesn't have the experience or the skills yet to shoot a wedding, a day which is an incredibly important day in two peoples' lives.
I won't support an effort which may disappoint two people terribly.

I would assume since they are related they probably know his skill level. And if they are willing to not hire a professional photographer they are pretty comfortable with his work.

tirediron said:
I have no idea what a "balla" is, so I may or may not be one. As for costs, have you priced wedding photography recently? $1000 is a very, VERY inexpensive price for a wedding. I missed the word "cousin" in your post. That changes it. The answer is easy. DO NOT charge. There's nothing that messes up a family relationship more than business. Tell her you'll do it as your gift to the couple, and if she's really wowed by the results, she can buy you a fancy supper somewhere after.

I just assumed those absurd prices were like furniture store prices. Sure, you will get a couple suckers who pay that 100% mark up, but everyone else barters for a better deal.

Stacylouwho said:
I would assume since they are related they probably know his skill level. And if they are willing to not hire a professional photographer they are pretty comfortable with his work.

I am a professional. I get paid to take pictures

Honestly the best answer you can give is to say NO.
Don't be the pro on the day, tell them to hire someone who has experience and knows how to shoot a wedding; nothing stops you taking your camera too and getting some photos here and there on the day whilst also being able to enjoy the celebration instead of working (because if you're the wedding photographer you will be working start till finish and beyond).

Weddings are complex and difficult events for any photographer and are doubly challenging because not only can't you repeat the event if things go wrong, but the event itself is a major event. As a result if you muck up its a BIG mistake of the kind you can't just easily patch over and forget about.

If you honestly want to go down the line of being a wedding photographer then you should aim to intern/apprentice/second shoot with another established photographer. That lets you gain experience in the field whilst also not putting you and your clients at risk of a failed day (bad news spreads fast; shoot a few bad weddings and even when you do improve you'll find the sigma very hard to shake).

Note that based upon the photos you've posted for critique elsewhere on the site I feel that you've still a fairly significant amount of progress to make just on your photographic method; this is without considering that on the day of a wedding you'd also need to have good people skills (at certain key points you HAVE to take control over the situation to get the shot; whilst at others you've got to step right back and work as the situation unfolds) as well as myriad of other skills. You can progress and improve (check the critique link in my signature for some advice on this), but don't make the classic mistake of improving whilst working at the early stages; you'll just cripple your long term possibilities.

Overread said:
Honestly the best answer you can give is to say NO.
Don't be the pro on the day, tell them to hire someone who has experience and knows how to shoot a wedding; nothing stops you taking your camera too and getting some photos here and there on the day whilst also being able to enjoy the celebration instead of working (because if you're the wedding photographer you will be working start till finish and beyond).

Weddings are complex and difficult events for any photographer and are doubly challenging because not only can't you repeat the event if things go wrong, but the event itself is a major event. As a result if you muck up its a BIG mistake of the kind you can't just easily patch over and forget about.

If you honestly want to go down the line of being a wedding photographer then you should aim to intern/apprentice/second shoot with another established photographer. That lets you gain experience in the field whilst also not putting you and your clients at risk of a failed day (bad news spreads fast; shoot a few bad weddings and even when you do improve you'll find the sigma very hard to shake).

Note that based upon the photos you've posted for critique elsewhere on the site I feel that you've still a fairly significant amount of progress to make just on your photographic method; this is without considering that on the day of a wedding you'd also need to have good people skills (at certain key points you HAVE to take control over the situation to get the shot; whilst at others you've got to step right back and work as the situation unfolds) as well as myriad of other skills. You can progress and improve (check the critique link in my signature for some advice on this), but don't make the classic mistake of improving whilst working at the early stages; you'll just cripple your long term possibilities.

I appreciate the feedback. Sounds easy enough. I'll go ahead and do the wedding. I shouldn't have a problem.

Stacylouwho said:

I am a professional. I get paid to take pictures

TROLL!!!!

i have fell in love with photography and recently quit my job to follow my dream of becoming a full time photographer. I've only taken a couple of portraits for friends so far, but my cousin asked if I would take pictures at her wedding. The problem is that I have no idea what to charge. I am thinking $100 for a cd of pictures. Does that sound right?
NPH-dissapoint.gif

I doubt you own the rights to that .gif

Thread locked pending moderator discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back