Weekly challenge 11/21 - 11/27 Look! Up in the sky! It's a...

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week's challenge, post photos of something you can find in the sky. No other rules or criteria. Yes, clouds count. No, it doesn't have to be in the sky when you take the photo.

New photos only for the challenge please. Get out there and shoot!

*****If anyone has any challenge ideas, please send me a PM. After a couple of years of these weekly challenges, I'm running out of themes and while I think it's ok to repeat some of the better challenges, it would be nice to have some new ones in between.

DSC_6288 (2).JPG

Great timing as I left the city to work on my astrophotography skills. This skill set has a steep learning curve and I have a long way to go.
These were shot with the Canon R6 on a Celestron Nexstar Evolution 6. They are each 40 separate 30 second exposures stacked into one.

I'm just getting started but if you enjoy astrophotography images @crimbfighter has shared some excellent astro shots.

M33 Triangulum Galaxy

M33-Triangulum-Seq-1-Polarr1-1024.jpg

M31 (part of) Andromeda Galaxy

M31-Seq-1-Polar1-1024.jpg

Wow! That 2nd one is amazing. A bit cool/greenish though... what are you using for wb? Imo that us the biggest struggle with post for astro.

Wow! That 2nd one is amazing. A bit cool/greenish though... what are you using for wb? Imo that us the biggest struggle with post for astro.

In camera I just use auto WB as there is soooo much processing in astro. I left (enhanced ?) that little bit of color for asthetics although to me it looks yellowish. I only have one light pollution filter and did not use it this evening. Those really complicate post-processing.

Great timing as I left the city to work on my astrophotography skills. This skill set has a steep learning curve and I have a long way to go.
These were shot with the Canon R6 on a Celestron Nexstar Evolution 6. They are each 40 separate 30 second exposures stacked into one.

I'm just getting started but if you enjoy astrophotography images @crimbfighter has shared some excellent astro shots.

M33 Triangulum Galaxy

View attachment 200500

M31 (part of) Andromeda Galaxy

View attachment 200503
Those are great! The Triangulum Galaxy is a tough galaxy to process. I've had mixed luck on it.

A bit cool/greenish though

I see what you mean. This morning I'm seeing it through the full web site on my notebook and there is much more green/yellow. I think I processed this with the brightness turned down on the notebook to preserve night vision. If so, another lesson learned!!!

Last edited:

In camera I just use auto WB as there is soooo much processing in astro. I left (enhanced ?) that little bit of color for asthetics although to me it looks yellowish. I only have one light pollution filter and did not use it this evening. Those really complicate post-processing.

I like a warmer sky but want it dark enough to still read as nighttime so I am typically shooting at around 3600K and tweak from there.

How to Choose the Right White Balance for Night Skies — National Parks at Night

The last oak leaf hanging around. The background is the sky, which was all fog. Obviously fog isn't that white, but as I increased exposure for the leaf the sky went white and I kind of liked the look. The second pic is a center pivot disappearing into the fog, with the fog being more of its actual look.
IMG-5889.jpg

IMG-5893.jpg

Most reactions

Back