What am I doing wrong with my 50mm on my Nikon D7000?

Yep. Looks like all your issues come down to technical photography issues the photographer has to control.

Here are some great short tutorials. You will need to know most of the information in them to consistantly make technically good photographs. Digital Photography Tutorials

Last edited:
You guys have been so helpful! I don't know why I never posted here before but I definitely will look at those resources. I am such a hands on learner though, it's been hard to teach myself. I have read 3 digital photo books, read the entire D7000 manual and another book written for that camera body. I've read everything I can get my hands on and even watched you tube videos. Even after all that, my film courses back in my college days have taught me more than all those things because it was hands on. I would LOVE to have time/money to take more classes. You people are the next best thing though!

I understand it was shallow I guess I assumed I was far enough. The whole reason I got the lens was for bokeh in my portraits. I wanted beautifully sharp eyes while the ears and hair started to blur.. and a bokeh background, that would make my heart pitter patter! I just have a hard time shooting on manual with this monster. I adjust ISO thinking I' m adjusting white balance, then I adjust the focus mode thinking adjusting the exposure mode.... so confusing! I will try stepping it down.. will I still get bokeh? Is there a point in using a 50mm if I'm using a small aperture like the one on my lens? I keep reading this is great in low light but I haven't noticed it as much yet. I guess I need to get used to using that tripod/monopod.

Enough questions for now. I'm sure I've worn all you out!

BTW, I cannot figure out how to post a pic even from flickr. I'm assuming I grabbed the wrong link. Thanks for posting it for me!

MTVision said:
You can't upload directly to the thread. Upload some to flickr.

Then go to share (on Flickr) choose "grab the code" (or something similar). Make sure you choose the BBCode. Copy it and paste it here.

^^^ super easy way to post from Flickr.

aprilski said:
You guys have been so helpful! I don't know why I never posted here before but I definitely will look at those resources. I am such a hands on learner though, it's been hard to teach myself. I have read 3 digital photo books, read the entire D7000 manual and another book written for that camera body. I've read everything I can get my hands on and even watched you tube videos. Even after all that, my film courses back in my college days have taught me more than all those things because it was hands on. I would LOVE to have time/money to take more classes. You people are the next best thing though!

I understand it was shallow I guess I assumed I was far enough. The whole reason I got the lens was for bokeh in my portraits. I wanted beautifully sharp eyes while the ears and hair started to blur.. and a bokeh background, that would make my heart pitter patter! I just have a hard time shooting on manual with this monster. I adjust ISO thinking I' m adjusting white balance, then I adjust the focus mode thinking adjusting the exposure mode.... so confusing! I will try stepping it down.. will I still get bokeh? Is there a point in using a 50mm if I'm using a small aperture like the one on my lens? I keep reading this is great in low light but I haven't noticed it as much yet. I guess I need to get used to using that tripod/monopod.

Enough questions for now. I'm sure I've worn all you out!

BTW, I cannot figure out how to post a pic even from flickr. I'm assuming I grabbed the wrong link. Thanks for posting it for me!

It's not bokeh - it's depth of field. You can still get a blurred out background by using a smaller aperture. Plus by stopping down your subjects will be in focus (more important then a blurred background) and sharper.

Try looking up depth of field and a depth of field (DOF) calculator. It will probably be helpful in understanding it. Aperture isn't the only thing that affects depth of field.

Try looking up depth of field and a depth of field (DOF) calculator. It will probably be helpful in understanding it. Aperture isn't the only thing that affects depth of field.

Like the one I posted? :greenpbl:

For posting from Flickr.. maybe this will help! Made it just for you..

flikcr-posting.jpg

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the link. I hadn't noticed anywhere mentioning the box that is automatically checked that says - Retrieve remote file and reference locally - As soon as I unchecked it, It posted to the forum. Triumph! Okay, I assumed the out of focus effect from shallow depth of field WAS bokeh. I'm going to have to figure out the difference here so I can use the terms correctly. Thank you!

aprilski said:
I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the link. I hadn't noticed anywhere mentioning the box that is automatically checked that says - Retrieve remote file and reference locally - As soon as I unchecked it, It posted to the forum. Triumph! Okay, I assumed the out of focus effect from shallow depth of field WAS bokeh. I'm going to have to figure out the difference here so I can use the terms correctly. Thank you!

Where did you post a photo?

aprilski said:
In the original post. Do they not show up?

I don't see them. It could just be my phone acting up. But...I dunno.

Are you pasting the link into the reply box or somewhere else?

Honestly, the easiest thing to do is what I mentioned earlier. Cgipson posted a photo to show you what we were talking about. Then you just paste it where you type your reply....and the picture will show up!

MTVision said:
I don't see them. It could just be my phone acting up. But...I dunno.

Are you pasting the link into the reply box or somewhere else?

Honestly, the easiest thing to do is what I mentioned earlier. Cgipson posted a photo to show you what we were talking about. Then you just paste it where you type your reply....and the picture will show up!

Here's another picture on where to find the code......

I've found the simplist way to post from Flicker is to go to actions drop down, view sizes, select size you want to post, right click copy on image then paste in your text box on the forum. (don't worry about codes or what they mean) Easy Peasy.

Most reactions

Back