What am I doing wrong?

AndyH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It seems like I can't take a good pic! Is it me or the camera or both? lol! I can't ever seem to get good composition and when I do, the pic looks like crap. I took over 50 shots of my guitar and only a few turned out alright. I just could not get good lighting. I tried outside and inside, flash and no flash. I shot mostly on aperture priority. My camera will go f2.7 to f8. I shot mostly on f2.7. Any advice? Here's a few that turned out ok.

nmcm1CDhoutxHayQP8PsIQ
019.JPG

010.JPG

036.JPG

Last edited:
well youre using a P&S so the flash will be rather harsh...can you set up some constant lights?...even some cheapy work lamps from home depot?

for some inspiration, maybe search 'guitar' on flickr and see if anything strikes your fancy.

I tried outside and inside, flash and no flash.

That is sort of like saying "I tried a D chord and a C chord...and I don't know why I don't sound like Clapton". ;)

There is a whole lot more to lighting that just inside/outside, flash or not. And since photography literally means 'drawing with light'...it's pretty important.

I'd suggest finding some shots on the internet that you do like, then trying to figure out what sort of lighting was used (we can help you there).

You're not doing anything wrong; you just have more to learn. Good composition and lighting can take years of practice to get down pat. Technically this image is fine; it's sharp, the WB is good, but artistically it does leave something to be desired.

First of all, what is your intended use for the images? That is, will they be for insurance records, artistic, advertising, or?? Each of them require a different approach. Spend some time on-line, Google "photographic composition" and simlar terms.

As far as lighting goes, spend some time reading the Strobist.

The composition is good... the lighting is a little harsh on the first image. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm just taking these pics for artistic purposes. I'll try to find some examples of what I'm trying to do and post them. Is aperture priority mode the best way to shoot these pics?

If the subject is stationary, I would use Aperture priority, but be sure you have a tripod or higher ISO if its low light. I think you should post a few of the "Not so good" pictures, that would help us tell you what was wrong. You are asking us what you are doing wrong, but showing us pictures that aren't really that bad at all. Doesn't make sense.

ok here's a pic of what I'd like to do
77FenderStratWhite_8_.jpg

here's a pic I took earlier where I couldn't get it to look right. Looks like lots of noise and not sharp to me.
057.JPG

here's a pic I took earlier where I couldn't get it to look right. Looks like lots of noise and not sharp to me.

At this resolution is difficult to tell about noise, however if you feel there is too much noise, perhaps you are shooting at high ISO. If so, lower ISO (possibly to the minimum if you like sharp images), which will mean you need longer exposure times, better reached with a tripod. It is also slightly underexposed.
As I'm beginner (more or less), I can't tell nothing about lighting, however the first picture seems to have been taken in controlled light conditions, most likely no flash or no flash on camera at least. Look at 3D sense given by the curve on top left in the body, which has been evidentiated by light.
However, the main difference between the two remains composition: choice of colors (cream and red) and position in the former picture will result better even with noise :D.

OK... it's all about the lighting.

A guitar is a good subject for shooting as an exercise for a number of reasons:

1. Guitars are cool. I know, I know... most will tell you it's the drummer that gets the women, but really... everyone KNOWS it's the guitar guy.

2. Guitar bodies, pickguards and head stock have interesting curves. These factors along with the length of the guitar offer a vast choice of angles for both over-all and detail shots.

3. The strings, frets and tuning machines offer repeating forms that converge as the distance from the camera increases.

4. Highly polished surfaces of the body and pickguard.

5. Detail in the knurling of the knobs, pick-ups and bridge... even the wound strings.

6. Reflective metal surfaces of the tail piece, jack and tuning machines.

These are some of the things you can approach in making your photos.

I suggest you start by addressing over-all lighting. Since most of the subject is glossy, I suggest you take it to a large window at a time when the light is bright but not direct. If there are white sheers hanging, you can close them to diffuse the light. The larger the window the better, but make sure the sun is not falling directly on the guitar. Then, directly in front of the window, hang a white bed sheet... maybe 6 feet or so away from the window. Nothing fancy. Maybe you can drape it over a couple of stools or, even better, some sort of rod supported by a couple of stools.

So we have the window, then the guitar (either on the floor or a short support) and finally the sheet. Now you're ready to take the camera and do some exploring. Look through the lens at varying zoom levels. Move around the guitar. Move the camera up and down. Once you settle on a couple of different view, put the camera on a tripod and move it into position. Before moving on to the next view, upload the image to your computer and review it, leaving the tripod in place. If you see some things you want to adjust, return the camera to the tripod and make any adjustments. Once you're happy with that view, move on to the next.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

I was playing around with the settings on my camera some. I got another one of my guitars out. What do you all think about this pic? Its been raining today and there's not much light coming in through the windows so I could not try to take one like in the example pic above.
030.JPG

Most reactions

Back