What am I missing for landscape photography?

LizardKing

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody!

I'm planning on taking 2 weeks off to go to the very south of Patagonia, and give a real try to landscape photography. The region is pretty much all about very long hikes at the feet of the Andes, encountering glaciers, lakes and pretty cool mountains like this one: File:Cerro Fitzroy - Sunrise2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Monte Fitz Roy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I'd like to have some input on what would be a good idea to add to my current gear before heading down there.

Sometimes I feel like I miss the wider focal lengths for landscapes, having the 28-300mm and 50mm on a crop sensor. But I'm not sure I can manage to get a wide lens right now. I still have to go out a scout for used gear, but I'm not too experienced so not sure about what to get and how much is a good price haha... Anyway, do you think I'm gonna miss much that wider end?

I think I'd also like a CPL or a Graduated ND... and these are not really that much expensive and I think they could really help me get better results.

Finally, I was thinking about some Kenko extension rings for macro, but that's another discussion and landscape is definitely the topic for me here! :mrgreen:

Am I missing something? Basically, all the gear I have is the camera, these 2 lenses, an SB-700 and a ballhead tripod.

Oh, I almost forgot... Never really read any book dedicated to landscape photography... anyone you can recommend? I was thinking about this one.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this!

Have a nice day!
Martin

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If I'm not mistaken, you forgot to mention if you already have a tripod or a monopod.

First the book you are looking at, it's got lots of good information in it, but it is a little out dated since it was written in 1994 when digital photography was a gimmick at the time (they said it would never take off).

You will want a wide angle for the sweeping vistas and mountains you will encounter. If you can't go ultra wide then get a lens that starts in the 16-35 focal lengths.. Also, go with a quality CP filter and couple of quality ND filters so you can stack them to cover your ranges of light... or shoot multiple exposures off the tripod exposing so you can later render the scene as an HDR image.

And yes the CPL and ND filters either graduated or variable would be nice additions.

PS I stand corrected, you mentioned you have a tripod. :)

First the book you are looking at, it's got lots of good information in it, but it is a little out dated since it was written in 1994 when digital photography was a gimmick at the time (they said it would never take off).

Good to know! Thanks! I'll take that in consideration. Any recommendations?

You will want a wide angle for the sweeping vistas and mountains you will encounter. If you can't go ultra wide then get a lens that starts in the 16-35 focal lengths.. Also, go with a quality CP filter and couple of quality ND filters so you can stack them to cover your ranges of light... or shoot multiple exposures off the tripod exposing so you can later render the scene as an HDR image.

If you could only pick the wide lens or the filters, what would you choose?

It looks like you have everything...

...except a landscape lens.

You need something like sigma 10-20 or tokina 11-16

Lol, this. Remember, with your crop body, you need a wide really wide lens like the tokina, because it's not as wide as it would be on full frame.

Also, it's critical to have a WAL when landscaping. Trust me, I know this all too well!

If you don't already have one pick up a used 18-55mm for cheap to cover wide angles. And don't forget a cheap wired remote for those tripod shots.
I bought a cable release a week ago, forgot to mention that.
Thought about getting a used kit lens like this one, but was unsure about it...

LOL! okok, it seems I finally have to face this and buy the freaking wide lens... I was actually looking into one of these 2, Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16... Not the best time economically speaking, but I'm afraid I'll regret it if I make this trip without one.

Thanks guys!

LOL! okok, it seems I finally have to face this and buy the freaking wide lens... I was actually looking into one of these 2, Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16... Not the best time economically speaking, but I'm afraid I'll regret it if I make this trip without one.

Thanks guys!

You can always rent one and save some money!

How about the Tokina 12-24 f/4 AT-X PRO? I found it used and at a reasonable price.

sovietdoc said:

Since when have you got to have a lens that wide for landscape where he is going you can shoot further back, landscapes can be shot with any lens

Most reactions

Back