What are some killer deals you've come across?

MK3Brent

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always love hearing about stories of people coming across cameras and lenses for amazing deals... either trades or sometimes just straight finds in their local stores or purchased homes.

Where I've had great deals on other hobbies, I have yet to score a great one with my gear... :lol:

Anyone have some stories to share?

Nikkor 50mm 1.4D in near mint condition at a flea market booth a few years ago. $200. not sure if its a "killer" deal but...I bought it fast enough.

Mint nikkor 85mm f1.4 af-d for $800 a year or so ago. Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro for $350.

I may add to this depending on what Alpha does with this Broncolor S80!

I got a new in the box Tamron 11-18mm lens with two others for $600, sold them for $345, so the Tamron cost me $255.00. It was retailing in Canada over $500 at the time.

Picked up a working Canon FD AL-1 with a 50mm Canon f/1.8 lens at a flea market for $5.00. Had to replace the battery door, cost me $10.00. It came with a Canon 70-210mm lens, but it had been dropped and the front element was pushed in. Fixed that, but the lens will not focus close or far, so I assume the internal gears are messed up.

A local online seller sold me a working Nikon P80 with a new unused Nikon marked bag and manual for $10.00. Later sold the bag for $15.00. She also sold me a Canon EOS Rebel 1000 with a 28-90mm Canon lens, nice Optex bag and manual for $15.00. The bag was worth around $30.00.

The biggest haul for my Canon FD collection was a box that included a pristine Canon AE-1 with 50mm lens, manual, case and original box; a pristine Canon FTb with 50mm lens, manual, case and original box; a Canon 28mm lens with case and original box; a Canon right angle finder B (fits on my DSLR!) in its box; a Vivitar 35-105mm lens in its box; a Sigma 70-210mm zoom with hood and box; Vivitar 2X telextender; set of Vivitar extension tubes; a Vivitar flash in its box; 5 various filters (besides the skylight ones on all lenses). Both the Canon 50mm lenses came with the 1976 (?) Olympics caps. All for $50.00!

I picked up a Sanyo P&S 7MP digital locally online for $7.00, the owner had lost the cord to the computer and could not charge the battery or retrieve the photos. Got two batteries and a charger on eBay for $10.00, so my total was $17.00.

Don't really need anything more, but I keep on looking, never know what I'll find!

Last edited:
These are pretty unbelievable and amazing stories..

I sent an email on what I was positive was a craigslist scam last august. I bought my 7D with 2200 actuations on it for $1000. I couldn't touch one under about $1700 at the time.

Mine are modest...

Just got a ef-d focussing screen for £3 - retails at £25+. Was perfect, all clean and in original packaging.

A Tamron lens, 28-80. Nothing special, but actually turns out some lovely images, and is my walk-about lens. Paid a tenner.

I don't have a lot of money to pick up the more expensive bargains, though. But every little helps. :)

Don't really need anything more, but I keep on looking, never know what I'll find!
Same here...
After finally buying a D3s, I still look for them... :lol:
Always on the hunt for nano lenses and other more rare pieces.

I have "saved searches" on eBay that are for items with no bids, and another for items at £1 or less. Sorted as "finishing soonest". Can drop on a few good things there, particularly where the folks haven't really got the hang of an effective listing. Nothing BIG but small items add up when you can use them. :)

I have "saved searches" on eBay that are for items with no bids, and another for items at £1 or less. Sorted as "finishing soonest". Can drop on a few good things there, particularly where the folks haven't really got the hang of an effective listing. Nothing BIG but small items add up when you can use them. :)
That's a good tip. I do the same thing.
It's also a good idea to go into your advanced search settings, and select the "Completed Auctions" box to search what the going rate for some things are.

I got a 14mp Canon P&S for free while I was in Florida a few weeks ago.

I was going to say that some of the best deals I've seen are the donations from Pixmedic (and his wife, I think).

My Nikon 70-200 VRII. I paid retail, but for the performance i gt from it....thats a STEAL
bigthumb.gif

1 nikon d7000 with a grip, and 2 batteries for 1200$ with about 200 click on it. this was shortly after it was out on the market.

tamron 17-50 f2.8 for 200$

like new sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSMI for 500$

a set of 2 250ws studio strobe, with carrying bag, hd stands and all kind of **** for 300$.

i forgot, in great shape minolta x-700, 50mm, 80-200, 2X TC, flash. original papers for free on kijiji.

Most reactions

Back