what are the first basic things i should learn about photography

Annajoech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[h=5]Hi, i'm a beginner in photography, and i would like to know what are the basic things i should learn about it.[/h]

Welcolme mate. I'd say you want to learn about:

Exposure and how to use the cameras built in light meter
Shutter speed and how to freeze motion and how to create blur
Depth of field and how it affects focus
How to read a histogram and prevent clipping
ISO and when to use it
Autofocus system on your camera and how/when to use the different AF modes
Manual Focus and when/how to use it
Photograhic Composition (like the rule of thirds and the golden rule)
How to edit your photos with software
How to use the different metering modes in your camera
Hyperfocal distance
Exposing to the right
Using fill flash
Using manual flash
Using off camera flash
Using ETTL

Then you can look into the different styles of photography too like landscape, sports/action, portraiture, macro, b&w, hdr, focus stacking etc

There's tons to learn so have fun along the way!

ISO and when to use it
Hyperfocal distance
Exposing to the right
Using fill flash
Using manual flash
Using off camera flash
Using ETTL

Then you can look into the different styles of photography too like landscape, sports/action, portraiture, macro, b&w, hdr, focus stacking etc

+1!

ISO and when to use it
Hyperfocal distance
Exposing to the right
Using fill flash
Using manual flash
Using off camera flash
Using ETTL

I think he forgot to mention to LOOK AT PHOTOS, then LOOK AT MORE PHOTOS, and after that LOOK AT MORE PHOTOS. While doing so try to figure out how each photo was taken and the process that went into it.

Also be forewarned that when you ask for critique and get it...it is given with :love:

Hi, i'm a beginner in photography, and i would like to know what are the basic things i should learn about it.

1. Learn to see a shot. Just pointing a camera at anything and everything willy-nilly will yield lots of photographs, but seldom a good one.

2. Learn composition. How to frame the subject; watch the backgrounds, balance, tension, positive vs. negative space, light vs. dark, pattern, texture, and how it all works together to make art.

3. Learn your camera.

How to use your camera inside and out.

Initially most people seem to focus on technical difficulties, and weepete's list is a good one, there. People often start here because they have entered the world of photography because they are attracted to the equipment, the gadgetry, the sleek black Gear. At least a little.

Photography is a balance of technical and artistic problems, though, and to be really good you will need eventually to grasp both sides to a fair degree. There are outstanding technicians who struggle with making an interesting or good picture, and there are outstanding artists who struggle with technical problems. Both can do pretty decent work, though.

For the artistic side, Juga has it in a nutshell: Look at pictures. Lots of pictures, mostly "good" ones.

Initially most people seem to focus on technical difficulties, and weepete's list is a good one, there. People often start here because they have entered the world of photography because they are attracted to the equipment, the gadgetry, the sleek black Gear. At least a little.

Photography is a balance of technical and artistic problems, though, and to be really good you will need eventually to grasp both sides to a fair degree. There are outstanding technicians who struggle with making an interesting or good picture, and there are outstanding artists who struggle with technical problems. Both can do pretty decent work, though.

For the artistic side, Juga has it in a nutshell: Look at pictures. Lots of pictures, mostly "good" ones.

Exactly, the equipment is merely a tool for your vision. However he is right...dull black sweetness of my camera body gets me every time:hug::

Welcome to the site.

Welcome aboard.

Not just for photography, but knowing how to use the search feature and Google is a big help.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Remember to also just have fun ;)...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back