What's new

What camera for shooting runners + low light stuff?

dolphinstreet

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 16, 2009
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for recommendations for a camera + lens with 2 specific purposes.
  1. Taking photo of distance running, both outdoors on the track or cross-country, as well as indoors. It has to auto-focus very fast, although it doesn't necessarily need to have above 4-5 frames per second capability. Fast and accurate auto-focus is the most important aspect.
  2. Indoors, low light performance. Taking photos of live bands playing, where the stage is lit in a variety of ways. Not able to use flash most of the time. This is also related to the point above regarding running. I take photos of runners on indoor tracks, where the lighting is usually weak. Similar to basketball courts.
Any suggestions? I've been looking at the Nikon 5100. I am not sure which lens to get. I need a bit of reach, but not overly much. I can get fairly close to the stage as well as close to the runners in most cases. Not sure if there is a lens that do these double duties great or not.
 
You have been looking at the wrong camera that is only just above entry level
 
It would be great to hear your suggestions. I am hoping to keep this under $2,000 if possible.
 
Canon 60D with Sigma 85mm f/1.4 - pretty much bang on your budget.
 
Auto focus doesn't work very well in low light. The D5100 has Nikon's Multi-CAM 1000 auto focus module, so it only has 1 cross-type focus point out of 11 focus points. By contrast the D300s has the Multi-CAM 3500DX auto focus module that has 51 focus points, 15 of them cross-type focus points.

But, the D5100, being newer, hasw better high ISO performance than the D300s which is likely to be replaced soon.

A big part of the low light equation will also be what lens you use.

To shoot an adult soccer league I used 3 lenses and 3 camera bodies (3 - D300);
For shots close to me (I shot from near one of the goals) Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED IF Autofocus DX Nikkor Zoom Lens

For shots around mid-field Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

And for shots at the other end of the pitch Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Just the first 2 prosumer lenses i listed blow your budget, so you need to look at entry level, or used gear, for both camera body and lens..
 
I'm definitely looking at getting used gear. If I can get better performance with the drawback being fewer features, for gear that's a few years old, that's alright with me.

I have no interest in video features either, by the way.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom