What Can I Do Differently? (C&C Please)

DogGoneGood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for some insight on what I can do to achieve getting shots like these to come out better from the camera (insight on settings, I mean), so less PP will be needed on so many photo's that I take. I like doing PP on my photo's, however some that I've taken lately, have required a lot of PP to look decent, when I thought I was using the correct camera settings to achieve a some-what decent photo, to begin with.

5 for C&C please, advice and insight always appreciated. I'll include with these photo's what I was trying to achieve when I took them, and what I don't like about them.

Exposure Time = 1/320"
F Number = F6.4
Exposure Program = Shutter priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 400

tracks1bw.jpg

^^ For 1, I was trying to achieve a good vertical angle of the train tracks, and me standing on the tip of them. However, I could only hold the camera so high above me, and still get a straight shot. I wish it could've been shot vertically, but doing so cut out the track rails, which took away from the visual I was trying to achieve.

The only thing done PP to 1 was converting to BW, rotating it slightly to straighten it, and sharpening it slightly.

Exposure Time = 1/320"
F Number = F5
ISO Speed Ratings = 200

tires1small.jpg

^^ With 2, I was trying to create another visual effect with the tires, but kind of feel like I failed. I'm thinking maybe the f/stop was too high? Not sure what it is that I feel the photo is lacking...

The only thing done to this photo, was conversion to BW, a slight crop (too much sky in the original), and slight sharpening.

Exposure Time = 1/320"
F Number = F7.1
ISO Speed Ratings = 200

photo3.jpg

This photo had a good bit more PP done to it. I had to clone out the houses in the background, convert to BW, sharpen it, and blur the background, because apparently the f/stop was set way too high for this photo. Thoughts on what could've been done differently/better?

These next 2 photo's are completely unedited (no post processing in any photo programs, I mean. Just resized, and nothing else).

I'm looking for advice on what settings would've been better for these next 2 photo's.

Exposure Time = 1/400"
F Number = F4.5
ISO Speed Ratings = 200

photo2.jpg

^^ for 4, I was trying to capture an old "country" type feel, but seemed to have missed the mark a bit.

Exposure Time = 1/320"
F Number = F5.6
ISO Speed Ratings = 400

photo1.jpg

^^ For 5, I was trying to capture the train tracks as they continue off into the distance, and then round the corner. I think for this photo, my f/stop was too low. Not sure what other settings would've been better for this shot. But coming straight out of the camera, I'm not pleased with it.

Last edited:
As for #1, there's nothin' wrong with perspective correction in post.

I think, I just wish I could've gotten more of the rails in the photo, ya know? To give it more of that vertical look. I feel that's what it's lacking, very little of the rails are in the photo.

I was also wondering why it looked grainy, then realized I shot it on ISO 400. It was very cloudy that day... I may try the shot again during the week, on a lower ISO.

for the 1st shot maybe you could try a doing a vertical panorama.. position the tripod just right so you only see your feet then take a few shots panning up.. use PS to stitch em together.. just a thought

I think the common problem with all of them is poor lighting. Have you perhaps forgotten about the quality of light in your quest for perfect compositions? Easy mistake to make. I am also a recovering composition junkie.

Regarding #1, getting the rails in the frame wouldn't have made much difference. The pic is too gray. And the camera is not close enough to record textures in the rocks. So the result is flat and unengaging. Contrast, texture, rich darks, and good tones should be present in b&w photos.

I think the common problem with all of them is poor lighting. Have you perhaps forgotten about the quality of light in your quest for perfect compositions? Easy mistake to make. I am also a recovering composition junkie.

Regarding #1, getting the rails in the frame wouldn't have made much difference. The pic is too gray. And the camera is not close enough to record textures in the rocks. So the result is flat and unengaging. Contrast, texture, rich darks, and good tones should be present in b&w photos.

Thanks, good advice. I'm going today to re-shoot some of these shots since it's a sunny day outside and the lighting is better (it was very overcast the other day when these were taken). I'll be adjusting the settings on the camera and hopefully the results will be better this time around.

If you'd like to get a vertical orientation (with more of the track) for #1, simply cheat. Nothing says you have to actually have your shoes on at the time, right? Bring a chair or a ladder to get as high as you can and position your empty shoes so that the tips are at the edge of the frame. You can even bring an extra pair of pants to catch a bit of pant leg as in your current shot. (I'm assuming these train tracks are out of service, otherwise be extremely careful setting up something on them.)

If you'd like to get a vertical orientation (with more of the track) for #1, simply cheat. Nothing says you have to actually have your shoes on at the time, right? Bring a chair or a ladder to get as high as you can and position your empty shoes so that the tips are at the edge of the frame. You can even bring an extra pair of pants to catch a bit of pant leg as in your current shot. (I'm assuming these train tracks are out of service, otherwise be extremely careful setting up something on them.)

Fantastic idea, thank you! No the tracks are not out of service, however, they're near home and trains don't pass through on these tracks too often. Even so, it's a wide open area and I can spot any trains coming from quite a long ditance away and give myself time to move safely away from the tracks.

Great idea on the chair, I actually have a step stool I'll bring and give the shot another try.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back