GreyFox70

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361826341.455209.jpg
What would you have done different?

I would use a longer shutter speed to smooth out the water

Gotten someone to go over it in a barrel.

I would use a longer shutter speed to smooth out the water

My settings was 1/500 5.0 ISO 100
Next time try 1/30 second at f/20 or use a neutral density filter to get away from f/20. You need a slow shutter speed when shooting flowing water. 1/30 second is marginally slow enough, 1/15 would be better if your aperture goes high enough.

My settings was 1/500 5.0 ISO 100
Next time try 1/30 second at f/20 or use a neutral density filter to get away from f/20. You need a slow shutter speed when shooting flowing water. 1/30 second is marginally slow enough, 1/15 would be better if your aperture goes high enough.

Thank you!! I will try this tomorrow.

The actual settings will vary depending on the light. The bottom line is to use a tripod and the slowest shutter speed you can get away with. The slower the shutter speed the more water will pass in front of the shutter while it's open giving it a silky look. Kind of like this one (1/6 second at f/25):

2010-02-27-05.jpg

Thank you!! I will try this tomorrow.

The actual settings will vary depending on the light. The bottom line is to use a tripod and the slowest shutter speed you can get away with. The slower the shutter speed the more water will pass in front of the shutter while it's open giving it a silky look. Kind of like this one (1/6 second at f/25):

2010-02-27-05.jpg

I'm having trouble opening your pic:(

It looks like you recently took the picture on a rather drab, grey day. There certainly needs to be more color, more PIZAZZ, or ZING to the picture! Obviously, wintertime is mostly about black and white imagery. So getting something "oh wow" to jump out is a difficult challenge.

I think I'd look for/wait for some freshly fallen snow or icicles amongst the trees to provide a good highlight and contrast to the otherwise ho-hum look of the falls. I know that in Missouri, there isn't a whole lot of snow, so perhaps just some ice on the rocks (are there any?) against a clear blue sky would put some POP into the picture.

I agree about the longer exposure and maybe a sunny day. Or you could go for a B&W.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back