What could I have done better?

allendehl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

Doing some exercises about metering and composition I took these shots in my backyard. Please, let me know what I could have done better.

5172822386_d4838798de_b.jpg
[/url]
Here I used evaluative metering and metered for the blue sky, I wanted it to be blue and nice in the BG, then used fill flash to expose the fruit.
f/10, 1/200, ISO100, Wide angle lens.

5172821944_d1c7fc3bd2_b.jpg
[/url]
Here I found this nice lizard willing to stay put for a few shots. My intention here was pretty much to compose a nice photo using different textures and color in the frame. I thought in cutting the branch that was between the lizard and the lens but that would have probably piss her off and and make her run away.
f/16, 1/60sec, ISO1600, Wide angle lens

Thank you in advance.

I like the 1st one the berry really stands out and i'm drawn to it each time i look. Not sure about the bottom one, i think the lizard gets lost agaisnt the rock.

I see you were trying to apply the rule of thirds in the first shot but I think this is a subject for a bulls-eye shot.

Anybody else agree?

Yeah i think so because my eyes keep getting drawn to center which isn't where the main subject is.

I see you were trying to apply the rule of thirds in the first shot but I think this is a subject for a bulls-eye shot.

Anybody else agree?

Thank you all!!

You're right. I was applying the rule of thirds!...what do you mean by bulls-eye shot? and why you think so?

Note: Absolutely not questioning your judgment, just trying to understand.:thumbup:

yes first shot is lovely.. i would crop into it a bit more me thinks. got a lot of unneeded information in that photo.. unless there was a reason to feature the branches that much? otherwise i wouldn't... and yes the bring the subject into the center of the frame more.. that will make it more impactful i think.

also pop the colors a bit apply just a very subtle saturation it will do wonders =)
great work otherwise.. way to apply what you've learned.. excellent exposure

What I meant by bulls-eye is centered. Sometimes the subject matter lends itself to that format.

Here is an example of mine:

P1040035sm.jpg

I think it would look odd if off on a "third".

great shot ron! :D and great illustration of your point haha

wow...thats nice!

Anybody else agree?

I think the only reason it is not effective in this instance is that the branch to the left that runs through the focus range is more eye appealing and is drawn to that. centered your eye would still see the branch poking at you first

If that branch was not there poking at you it would almost perfectly follow the golden spiral, with slightly different crop

5172822386_d4838798de_b.jpg

poor quick job of clone out of the branch but your eye does not want to migrate to the center now.

Last edited:
#1 isn't balanced, so that's probably why some think it would work better as a centered comp. Right now there is just too much on the right side and nothing on the left.

#2 is a cluttered mess.

Hi again,

Thank you all for all the great advices!!
I went back to my subject and applied (or at least tried to apply) most of them. The lizard ain't coming back for re-shut though.

- Center the fruit
- Get rid of the branch poking your eyes
- Less detail in the background
- More balance

What do you think?

5174705519_3a80a373a4_b.jpg

f/10, 1/160 secs, ISO 100, Wide angle lens.

5174705519_3a80a373a4_b.jpg

f/10, 1/160 secs, ISO 100, Wide angle lens.
I think a square crop and deeper DOF. The first image has better lighting on the fruit.

While "Doing some exercises about metering and composition " don't neglect considering the background and the lighting.

Most reactions

Back