What could this be?!?!?

woojiebear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wasn't sure where to post this...but

shot a wedding on the weekend and was wondering if anyone else can see this noise?!?

it's like a

<<<<<<
>>>>>>

it's shot with a Canon 5D.
and we were using flash triggers. what could it be?!?
i really don't wanna send my camera away
undecided.gif

could it be interference from the flash triggers?

Any advice is most appreciated. thank you!

20090905-IMG_0366.jpg

Moire usually results from an image being oversharpened, no?

No Moire is a the result from having a finite resolution to resolve two grids at different sizes or angles. The first grid being the pixels on the sensor, the second being something real, like an actual grid or a pattern in a fabric. Wikipedia has an excellent article with good diagrams Moiré pattern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is definitely not Moire. To me it looks like a readout issue after the sensor has captured the data, and ... to me it looks like a send it back to Canon issue :(

After looking at it very closely, I think Garbz is correct. It does look more like a camera problem.

skieur

I did think it was very odd that Moire was showing up on skin rather than a pattern or fabric etc.

Can the problem be recreated? Can it be stopped when you don't use the radio trigger? I haven't heard of radio triggers causing this, and a lot of photographers use radio triggers...so it might just be a camera problem.

Yes, it is electromagnetic interference. It is being caused from an electrical or electronic device located too close to your sensor. This problem has come up on one of my other photo groups, and it has come up repeatedly.

It could be your triggering system, or it could be strong interference located in the shooting area itself; in New York City for example, there are some entire areas where the interference is very,very strong, and photos shot in those areas are often ruined.

Some of the new Canon flashes have such a problem with interference that the Pocket Wizard people had to create shrouds that go around Canon flashes...
Rob Galbraith DPI: PocketWizard AC7 shield tackles RF noise problem with certain Canon Speedlites

What brand of flash and trigger were you using?

thanks very much for the responses!

using cactus triggers and upon doing some research i've learned that these triggers will cause that kind of noise in a 5D - it goes away on higher ISO levels.

time to invest in pocketwizards. sigh.

good to know though!!!

on separate shots taken with 40D (second camera used) there is no noise like this.

thanx...am working on suggested solutions!

I went from Cactus triggers to the Cyber Sync. Quite a bit less expensive than Pocket Wizards. You might also consider the Elinchrom SkyPorts.

Before investigating pocket wizards, attempt the antenna upgrade for the Cactus trigger. A properly designed vertical whip antenna like the upgrades use would not radiate any of the electrical field downwards towards the camera.

At least that's the EM theory side of it. That doesn't mean it's injecting loads of noise down through the hotshoe and Canon just haven't isolated that as a source of noise for the rest of the electronics.

Most reactions

Back