What did I do? And, can I save it??

sporadicamateur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All,
Thanks in advance for the advice. I am at a loss. Not sure what I did, but the ultimate question is: can I save this?
Went on a fairly special vacay, and some of my pictures turned out like this... Would really be nice to be able to save them. I got my camera back to normal, had to "reset to normal." Using a Nikon D7200. I generally don't play with the settings, but had to have done SOmETHING to get these...

Attachments

• DSC_0684 (2).JPG
    DSC_0684 (2).JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 65
The image has been 'posterized' meaning the bit level has been reduced below the standard 8-bit level for a JPEG. A quick check leads me to believe it's been dialed down to 4 or 5 bits. So there's only about 1/8 or 1/16 of the potential data still left in the image. Once the image has been edited and saved, the data is lost.

The image has been 'posterized' meaning the bit level has been reduced below the standard 8-bit level for a JPEG. A quick check leads me to believe it's been dialed down to 4 or 5 bits. So there's only about 1/8 or 1/16 of the potential data still left in the image. Once the image has been edited and saved, the data is lost.
So... If it's still on my camera and I haven't done anything to it, can I still fix it? Thanks for the terminology help.

You might be able to import it into an app, break it down into separate RGB channels, start doing some color swaps and make it look 'normal', but I doubt you'll ever get a 'real photo' out of it.

Were you shooting NEF or JPEG? If the former, the NEF file will be easily converted to a 'normal' image.

Most reactions

Back