What do/don't you like about TPF?

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm one of the newer members here and just want to share my thoughts about this place and hear thought from others.

Few days after I logged in I was overwhelmed, this is a big forum with lots of members and posts per day!
I noticed that:
- many people are members here quite some time what tells me that this is a quality forum to be in :thumbup:
- there are a lot of professionals here and they're spending their time to help others
- a lot of people with different interest in photography
- when critiquing, some people are extremely detail and helpful. It is a joy to read what they think.

Great, I like it, I'll learn so much!

But then, after a while I started to realize:
- when critiquing, almost everyone is expert at something, meaning that they behave as if their own opinion is the only opinion that counts. There are few people here who would say f.e.: ... it is just my opinion.... it is just my personal preference...I'm no pro... It is impossible to agree with everyone but why not respect others opinions and politely disagree and not "I'm right, you're not"
- there are some rules in photography I heard only on TPF
- there is nepotism going on here...oh yeah! :)some members would be harsh when critiquing photos taken by new members, but when they critiquing someone they already know during the time they spend on TPF, they would: "Oh I like this, good job" even though the photo has some technical flaws
- there are much more replies on technical questions then on creative/c&c ones. Same technical questions are answered multiple times for a very short period of time.

Also I can't figure out "who likes who and who doesn't like who"... but it is interesting. Time will tell :wink:

Those are my impressions on TPF so far. And saying all that, I hope I'll be here for a long time to come and get to know some of you guys better :lovey:

Love to hear your thoughts about TPF!

Last edited:
I do not think every opinion should me necessary followed by 'this is my opinion'. All opinions regarding creative side of photography are personal by default. I think it is always good when people have strong opinions. Even more so if they are capable and willing to defend it with good arguments. A clash of strong opinions is probably the best thing you can get sometimes, it can wake up to some new ideas. Just do not take it personal.

Welcome to the internet.

We're only human... at least most of us, anyways.

Those were my thoughts of TPF. What are yours?

Welcome to the internet.

We're only human... at least most of us, anyways.

not sure I understand what you're saying and not sure you understood what I was saying...

I do not think every opinion should me necessary followed by 'this is my opinion'. All opinions regarding creative side of photography are personal by default. I think it is always good when people have strong opinions. Even more so if they are capable and willing to defend it with good arguments. A clash of strong opinions is probably the best thing you can get sometimes, it can wake up to some new ideas. Just do not take it personal.

Yes, I agree when it is about a discussion of some sort. I enjoy reading some discussions even when I'm not a part of them because of different opinions and people presenting their point of view. But when c&c some people present their own personal preference as a must. Hope I explained what I meant in the first place.
An of course, this is just my opinion! :)

I don't normally waste my time on useless replies. But when I do... I am usually irritated, or on the toilet.

- almost everyone is expert at something, meaning that they behave as if their own opinion is the only opinion that counts. There are few people here who would say f.e.: ... it is just my opinion.... it is just my personal preference...I'm no pro... It is impossible to agree with everyone but why not respect others opinions and politely disagree and not "I'm right, you're not"

Unfortunately people like this... even in moderated, online, critique oriented communities... exist.

- there are some rules in photography I heard only on TPF

I can agree with this, but as a general rule, you should take most things said on the internetz with a grain of salt.

- there is nepotism going on here...oh yeah! :)some members would be harsh when critiquing photos taken by new members, but when they critiquing someone they already know during the time they spend on TPF, they would: "Oh I like this, good job" even though the photo has some technical flaws

It happens.

Unfortunately, this literally happens all the time... everywhere. TPF is mild, compared to others.

- there are much more replies on technical questions then on creative/c&c ones. Same technical questions are answered multiple times for a very short period of time.

Tech is easy, the information is widely available and easily accessable on the internet. C&C takes time... thats a turn off for most.

Also I can't figure out "who likes who and who doesn't like who"... but it is interesting. Time will tell :wink:

Interesting sure. But I don't see why it matters, were here to critique/network.

Those are my impressions on TPF so far. And saying all that, I hope I'll be here for a long time to come and get to know some of you guys better :lovey:

Love to hear your thoughts about TPF!

I hope you stick around too, there is a wealth of knowledge here. If you can get past the initial charm that "most" online communities have to offer.

Last edited:
Ever looked up the YouTube 8 bit video "How To Behave on an Internet Forum"? If not, you need to. Everyone who ever participates on an Internet forum need to view that video.

TPF? Its like any other large Internet forum really.

.......everything you said....

Ok.....
I apologize for wasting your time....not being a member of lots of forums on internet... I've been a member of one forum for years and it wasn't like TPF....
Must develop thicker skin though....

Last edited:
.......everything you said....

Ok.....
I apologize for wasting your time....not being a member of lots of forums on internet... I've been a member of one forum for years and it wasn't like TPF....
Must develop thicker skin though....

Came off more harsh than I meant to.

We're here to help one another.

I odd rule about posting any copyrighted work.
the lack of thick skin and harsh/objective critique.

- there is nepotism going on here...oh yeah! :)some members would be harsh when critiquing photos taken by new members, but when they critiquing someone they already know ...

That might just mean that they have seen better by the OP, and thus don't have to mention every flaw or dwell on mundane aspects.

At any rate, you will soon be an old-timer on here and get the "kid glove treatment" yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back