What do I need for a basic setup?

khikho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I received a Nikon D200 with a Nikkor 18-200AF as a gift. I really like the camera and beginning to enjoy basic photography. I am looking to expand including buying flashes and lense.

As a beginner, I don't know what should be the next step. Should I buy a flash or lense? the SB600 and Sb800 are quite expensive, are there recommended alternatives? what kind of lense should I look into that are affordable and will help me learn close up shot?

also, are all lens compatible? I saw some on ebay that are advertise for D70 and other, will they fit the D200? These are very basic question that I need to ask to learn. Thanks

thanks.
KhiKho

Do you mean D70 or D700?

I believe the D70, and your camera, are both crop sensor cameras. That means any lens will work on them just fine.

Full Frame sensor cameras ( such I believe as the D700 ) can't use crop frame specific lenses. So they are limited to more expensive modern glass or any pre-digital Nikon lens.

well, i guess the first question might be, a "basic setup" for what?

looks like you've already got more than a basic setup :D

what do you want to shoot?...people?...macros?...landscapes?....sports?...

with the 18-200 you're covering a good range, so it should be ok for a beginner...personally i would recommend the SB600...i have one and i LOVE it. the 800 might be overkill (and much more expensive).

Actually, the D700 and D3 (full frame cameras) CAN use "crop" (DX) lenses. They automatically use only the smaller central part of their sensor. So, you effectively end up shooting at 6 MP instead of 10 (or whatever), but they do work.

My question is: what do you want to do with your camera? It sounds like you might be looking for a macro lens ("close up shot") -- or maybe you just want a good general purpose lens? Is low-light a consideration? Range of focal lengths, or might a prime (single focal length) be ok?

Any Nikon AF 35mm lens will work on your camera (except for just a couple meant for the first Nikon AF camera, but those lenses are rare). You can also use a great majority of manual focus Nikon lenses. Of course no autofocusing with them.

As for flash best bet is to go with SB-600. That will give you the most capabilities matching the camera. You can use several older flashes but would not have as many automatic features. There are also other manufacturers that offer flashes for Nikon. Sigma for example make an ITTL compatable flash for new digital bodies. But the better 2nd brand ones are nearly same as SB-600.

As for lenses, really need to know what your interested in. Or what your current lens is falling short in for your shooting. Without knowing what your interested in or need. You can get a dozen different suggestions on which lens to get next.

Get a nice tripod and a prime lens and do some low light work. The 50mm 1.8d is a great lens and is only around $130 new (used for ~$100), and the new 35mm 1.8 would be great if you could get your hands on it. Your current lens will be good for most other shooting so don't worry about more zoom lenses until you feel you've reached your lens's limits.

The 18-200 lens you have a is a great "everyday snapshot" sort of lens, consider pairing it with a few nice prime, non-zoom, lenses.

The great thing about the d200, is it can meter with older non-cpu lenses. Which
means a lot more options for you in the future; it also means better deals since most consumer grade nikons aren't 100% compatible with these lenses which keeps the aftermarket price down.

A sb-600 and a 50mm prime lens are excellent choices, and you may consider a used manual focus ais lens for the 50mm which run about 1/3rd the cost of a comparable new autofocus lens, and offer the same, if not better, image quality.

Most reactions

Back